H1N1 and kids update-just posted on MSNBC

For those of you who think everyone is overreacting to the H1N1 virus: this was just posted on MSNBC.......here's a portion of the article....if nothing else, get educated....

WASHINGTON - Even as swine flu infections are causing an unprecedented amount of illness for this time of year — and a growing number of deaths, particularly among children — supplies of vaccine to protect against it will be delayed, government health officials said Friday.

In the past week, 11 more children have died from H1N1 influenza infections, an official from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said, bringing the total to 86 children since April. That's a startling number because in some past winters, the CDC has counted 40 or 50 child deaths for the entire flu season — and no one knows how long this swine flu outbreak will last...........

see MSNBC.com for the rest of the article

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• psh!
    Swine Flu is so prevalent in my county that they aren't even testing for it any more. It's just assumed that most cases of the flu are the "dreaded" swine flu!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• the poor kids that died were tested....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• omg. im so confused. people tell me the vaccination is "experimental" and not to give it to my 7 month old. thn articles like this come out that make me want to rush and get that vaccine asap. what am i supposed to do!!!!!
    Bernie19

Answer by Bernie19 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• That is 86 kids out of millions. People can/do die from the normal flu.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I would talk to your doctor to get the "facts"....then decide for yourself....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• You're supposed to do your own research.

The vaccine is experimental ...ALL of the vaccines are experimental. ...
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:53 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Anon

You have to do more then talk to your doctor.

Check out askdoctorsears.com ...Read his "The Vaccine Book" Those are good places to start if you are concerned about any of the vaccines.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:54 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• uh anon 152...if you read the post you would have seen that in a normal regular flu year 40-50 kids die...so far this year (and it's only Oct) 86 children have died from H1N1. The article goes on to say that more and more of them were "healthy" children....
    I'm not saying to overreact, just don't minimize the situation...........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• This is a quandary. I am NOT convinced the swine vaccine is safe (down the road) and have read a ton on it and consulted physician friends and my own couple of physicians. The answer is muddled. Some say it's safe and other swear not to get it. A friend had a son who just had it. Her biggest tip was rapid, shallow breathing in her son (very little air passing thru the lungs), 103 fever w/o meds and lethargy. She said, Do NOT wait and see. Any sign of this virus and you ACT.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:57 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• And outstanding-I know you are against vaccines...while that is your right and choice, don't dismiss those of us who have legitimate concerns....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2009