Is the morning pill consider abortion????

starz16

Asked by starz16 at 2:47 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Health

• na, and if it does the job, it's worth it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• No it isnt. even the ads say if you are already pregnant it wont work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• no.
    it prevents conception but it is NOT the same as the abortion pill
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• ^exactly^ no more an abortion then a condom!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:57 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• it's stops a baby from being able to be concieved. for me it's not an abortion cause there is no viable life or conception until about 12 days after the deed. so if you take this pill with 3-5 days after then no abortion done.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• No, it's just a heavy dose of birth control.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:47 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• It will not terminate an existing pregnancy. It will simply help prevent a pregnancy. So no, it isn't considered abortion. It is a concentrated dose of birth control essentially.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:51 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• It depends on what you consider abortion to be. You are possibly preventing the implantation of a fertilized egg, so there is a possibility that you are killing what COULD have become a baby. I would never take the morning after pill, but then I take a very anti-abortion stance. I can understand where most people would say it's not. For me, it is.

Answer by missanc at 4:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• The mechanism of action for the morning after pill is to thicken the cervical mucous (so the sperm & egg can't meet) and prevent ovulation (no egg = no baby). It is THEORIZED that the morning after pill MAY prevent implantation of a fertilized egg, but there are scientific doubts.
    *It DOES NOT interfere with an exisiting pregnancy.*
    Wikipedia actually has a pretty good article on this- scroll down to "Mechanism of Action" and "United States Ethical & Legal Controversies".
    Personally, I don't believe that makes it an abortion, it is prevention. But as the PP above me stated, it all depends on your definition of abortion.

emslala

Answer by emslala at 5:51 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Yes. It stops a fertilized egg from implanting. If you believe life begins at conception, then it is abortion.
    tel4him

Answer by tel4him at 7:31 AM on Oct. 17, 2009