are all OB office like this?

My actual doctors at my ob are really nice, but I have felt frustrated with the way the office is run. I don't expect to be like the only person needing attention, and I rarely call or ask questions and I am not a hypochondriac. It's this huge escapade everytime I have to call for anything. They won't answer the phone and I have to keep calling back or wait hours for a return call and several times the nurses have totally not listened to my questions after waiting so long. Sometimes I really just need a simple question answered, but it's almost impossible considering they took like 2 hours to give me sense even when I called thinking I was in LABOR! Are most OB offices this way? Cause I feel like switching next time even though I like the doctors, but I don't want to if it's not gonna be different elsewhere.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Health

• When I had my daughter, my OB's office had a separate phone number just for the pregnant moms with concerns. I called one evening because I was having a lot of cramping pains and I had a call from a doctor within 10 minutes and was at the hospital getting checked out and kept over night for observations half hour later.

I would switch.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My OB office ALWAYS answers the phone and I also have had to call after hours and they have gotten back to me in no more then 15 minutes. I would mention something to your doctor the next time your in there and if they don't change things and get there heads out of there ass then switch switching when your preggo you want to do it faster then slower some places don't have spots for expectant moms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I fell at like 5:30 in the afternoon on a Friday night when i was pregnant with my daughter. I called the doctor's after hours emergency line and was on the phone with the doctor by about 6. I would talk to your doctor about it. Then if it seems like nothing is done, talk to your friends that have children and ask them who used and how they felt about the experience. That is something that most pregnant women require, a doctor's answering service. Then start calling other doctors to check for openings. But I would talk to your doctor about it first if you do like the doctors before making any decisions. Maybe (s)he can do something, like consult with the nursing staff or perhaps let some less attentive nurses go.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:08 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Eh--- no. Most offices are much better run. If I were you, I'd say something to your doc about it- and include that you are highly considering switching offices next time even though you like him/her. Often docs don't know these things about their staff. They're busy doing their job and not babysitting the nurses/ receptionists etc. Also, ask other women in the waiting room and tell them to tell their docs. If you have a good doc, getting the office staff overhauled may make staying there worth it.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:08 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Mine is a bit like that. I can't switch cause it's the only OB office around here. :(
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:15 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I went to a women's care center that had both doctors and midwives and I went with the midwives. Their office was not run like that at all. When my water broke and I called the office, the person I spoke with kept me on the line, I was put on hold for a few minutes after giving her my info and what was going on, but then she came back and talked to me. About two weeks after I gave birth I came down with a stomach bug and called in because I am breastfeeding so my MIL was worried about me getting dehydrated. The nurse got my info and called me right back after talking to the on-call midwife and then they called in a prescription for me.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I would be looking for a different doc whether I Iiked those doctors or not. I would definitely tell the doctors about it and let them know why you are leaving. They may not know the situation is that bad.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Find a new doctor. If they don't care enough about patients to have a quality support staff, they are not good doctors.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:17 AM on Oct. 17, 2009