How common is a second glucose tolerance test needed while pregnant?

I have to back for a more detailed 3 hour glucose test. Am I doomed to have diabetes or is this pretty common to have to have another screening, (my levels were a little high the first test).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Health

• I had to have it with both of mine. I now know that i am hypoglycemic. Mine was high and at the end of the test was to the floor.
    clds0507

Answer by clds0507 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• They redo a GTT when reading from the original are too high or too low. They want to be sure it isn't a mistake first. Also, it helps them determine whether or not you're having hyer or hypo glycemic issues.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I had to take the 3 hour test because my levels were also high with the first test. The 3 hour test came back just fine. The reason for failing the first test was because I ate before the test, so it doesnt necessarily mean you will have diabetes. Good luck,hope everything turns out to be fine : )
    funmom609

Answer by funmom609 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I had one. My first one came back negative but it was high so they did a second test which was 3 hours. I was so glad because I did have gestational diabitis. i've heard it's pretty common.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 1:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• With all 3 of my kids I had to have 2 tests, the short one then the 3 hour one, all normal.
    L.R.I.Ma

Answer by L.R.I.Ma at 3:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2008