Please tell me this gets better

My three week old has reflux. I guess we are lucky because she doesn't cry hysterically like some babies with reflux do, but she is ALWAYS miserable. There maybe a half an hour a day where she is not fussy or sleeping. I feel bad for her, she seems to be so uncomfortable. The doctor said to keep her upright as much as possible and we do but it does not help. She also said I could put cereal in a bottle, but I have not introduced the bottle yet. Is there anything else I can do? Everyone I talk to says if their babies had reflux it lasted for a year and prettty much nothing helped. Is this true, will my baby be unhappy for the first year of her life? Has anyone's baby gotten better after a few months?

lilysmom2607

Asked by lilysmom2607 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It will get better! I promise! My niece had it, and she wasn't on a bottle either. I believe her Dr ended up prescribing a med (sorry, I don't know what it was), to help. I do know she didn't have it for a year.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• One of my friends daughter had really bad reflux the first few months of her life. She had to sleep propped up and everything. But she's 8 months now and doesn't have reflux anymore, i think it stopped around 6 months. Maybe it will get better when she starts on solids :)
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Yes, it will get better, be patient!

Answer by older at 9:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• You poor things! If she really is that miserable I'd suggest going back to her doctor and asking about some possible medications, I know a few other mothers who've needed to put their babies on meds because of reflux and they all seem much better on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• sounds like your breastfeeding, it could be something in your diet that's causing this as well. I'd maybe play a little with your own diet, like cutting out dairy and such for a week or two and see if this helps her. It'll get better, you just have to find what works!
    Noey1221

Answer by Noey1221 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My daughter had reflux but she was still throwing up with the oatmeal in her bottles but she wasn't throw up juice so we tried her on straight formula again and she hasn't thrown up since except this week because she has a cold.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 3:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Noooo cereal. Babies should not have solids until 4-6 months including cereal.

Reflux can be a physical problem at the top of the baby's stomach. If things don't get better that may be something to check out.

If it's reflux then diet changes probably won't help. Diet might help colic. There is a big difference between reflux and colic and the people you are talking to might not know that.

Some babies do cry most of the first year. You are breastfeeding and your baby won't be crying while nursing. The book or video The Happiest Baby on the Block may offer some help. He suggests pacifiers and they aren't a good idea for breastfeeding babies. The rest is good.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2009