Why do you think this is?

Lately we have seen a lot of underage kids commiting henious crimes against others, some of which seem to come from regular families. What do you think is the key factor for this? What makes a child be so cruel and total lack of respect for human life?

Asked by older at 10:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • video games, violent tv, indifferent parenting, lack of discipline, no mom at home to instill good values & morals, children left to "entertain" themselves.

Our world has become desensitized to violence & bloodshed.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• It's more in the media but I think some children are just born broken and can't be rehabilitated.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• MoonLover06, we do hear more about because of the media, are they just evil seed?

Answer by older at 10:24 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Video games
    indifferent parenting
    lousy schools

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• and why schools, as a reason? why do people insist its the schools responsibility to bring up a child?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I agree with thehairnazi. I do not understand why people expect the schools to raise their children. It is the parents responsibility to teach their children morals and values. Also, I know video games and tv can be violent but it is the parents responsibility to monitor the use of them. I'm not against video games, some can be completely senseless but just because a child plays them doesn't mean that they are going to be violent people. Again if a child is taught good morals and values they should be able to distinguish between right and wrong.
    Momnumerouno

Answer by Momnumerouno at 10:54 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Although I do understand that parents should have the ultimate responsibility, what about those parents who have and still come up with a violent child?
    My husband is a criminal defense atty, and I have seen families that are not dysfunctional and have done everything right and yet their kid has turned out to be violent and with total disregard for life.

Answer by older at 11:02 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I think it's the parent's main responsibility but children do spend more awake time at school than with their own parents. School should take some responsibility.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• As far as schools go--it is not a school's responsibility to raise a child. AT ALL. But since we have so many indifferent parents EXPECting their child to be taken care of at school, their children are either learning these things from other kids at school or teaching others.

Not to mention this economy is making things worse. Single parents are forced to work two jobs, leaving their children at child care facilities. There is hardly any time to raise a child when one is working two full time jobs. Therefore, the child is left to their own devices. While media is not to blame, a child who watches whatever whenever and has no parent to set them straight about fact or fiction is bound to act out the things they watch.

A mom on here said her 1 1/2 year old watch Family Guy. IMO, that's just bad parenting and a set up for a child who is going to be seriously misdirected.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I don't think it's a schools responciblity to be the "parent" however when kids are in school the school needs to do what needs to be done to ensure all kids are safe and the focus is on learning.

School is so much different these days from when I was in school. And sorry but they should be strict as hell. NO cell phones, NO food, NO pants down so low your underwear hang out, in fact kids wearing revealing clothes and gang colors is ridiculous these days.....UNIFORMS for ALL schools. Start a fight or get in a fight, a slap on the hand and a free vacation solves NOTHING, but community service will build character.

Kids behavior is getting worse and worse because they get away with it. I refuse to send my son to the public schools in the city we live in. Students beating up teachers and other students, HIGH failure rates, and too much crap....I pay for my son to go to a private school
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2009