Do you think our juvenile system is failing our kids?

Kids get away with murder these days literally sometimes. Do you think that the system should change to make laws harder on them? Is it really working for our youth?

Asked by older at 10:31 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Parents are failing their kids, why do so many NEED the juvenile system?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Actually, I think it is PARENTS (in general) that are failing their kids--making it so the Juvenile System has to pick up the pieces.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:32 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I agree with Lori. Also my dh's mom sent him to a juvenile home when he was 11 for refusing to do the dishes! He ended up getting intop serious trouble after learning bad behavior from the other boys there.  I think that is outrageous! Too many kids are put in the system with actual troubled kids where they learn the bad behavior. Parents need to be parents and use the juvenile system if it's really necessary.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Do you think our juvenile system is failing our kids?

Parents are failing kids. Too many parents are reliant on the nanny State to care for their children. Parent need to PARENT. Not depend on the government to do it.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• When I say the juvenile system is failing I mean that most kids know that if they are under 18, the penalties for bad behavior are not as harsh as if tried like an adult. Only some really violent crimes are treated like adults, the rest are very linient.

Answer by older at 11:34 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I agree with Lori--my daughter is currently studying criminal law with a focus on juvenile justice for the specific purpose of helping kids whose "parents and now the system keep failing" (these are her words). The problems often (not always, but often enough) start at home.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 11:41 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• The kids under 18 who know that the penalties are more lenient--don't have parents that instill the fear of doing something reprehensible where they even find out how lenient or not the juvenile system is!

But I think I get your point Older, today's teens are much more "savvy" about crimes and "the system" than they were when many of the juvenile laws were written. I think today's 15 and 16 year olds SHOULD be tried as adults for certain crimes.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:41 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I can't tell you how many times I have sat with parents in a parent/teacher conference and had the parent tell me that during school hours, their kid was my "problem" and in the next breath voice confusion about the lack of positive behavior in the home--and don't see any connection. Teachers are often ridiculed, insulted and demeaned for being puppets in an indoctrination scheme, but this is hardly true. WE are expected to fill in the blanks left by negligent parents (just negligent enough to be noticed, but not so much to be criminal) while teaching the full spectrum of academic content. *Sorry op for the rant--I see a strong connection between the difficulties of adolescent behavior, juvenile offenders and increasingly lackadaisical parenting. Thanks for the vent space! :)

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 11:46 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Some parents fail their kids, and then the juvenile system fails them further. It's not just one or the other.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• parents do fail their kids and it's because parents failed them. And yes the juvenile system is failing our kids. I just read a news report not so long ago that in the state of NY , my home state, the kids are in juvenile systems from fighting to felony crimes and are being assaulted by the very people who are supposed to be caring for them and the facilities that they are in are supposed to be safe havens that teach rehabilitation as well as help them pay retribution for the "crime" they committed.

I too have seen parents that leave me wondering who are you? they act worse than the kids. I feel so sorry for kids these days. They get raised by the streets, mothers are working 2 three jobs to make ends meet , fathers are either absent due to being deadbeats or incapable of having good relationships or working ... and then when they are home..they are overwhelmed with not being able to raise kids. They all need assistance.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2009