recent "streak" of laziness in soon to be 8 yr old girl??

I am a co-parent to my girlfriend's 7(soon to be 8 in Nov.)yr old daughter. Recently we have been having problems getting her to do the things she has been doing just fine for 2 yrs. She has recently started not brushing her teeth in the morning, she claims "she does not feel like it, or doesnt want to". After repeated warnings she kept not brushing, so we grounded her(took away t.v., comp., gameboy)but that did not make difference. We recently started a new punishment for not brushing which was telling her that if she would not brush her teeth, she would not get any sweets//this did not work surprisingly, so we bought her a battery powered toothbrush, this seemed to motivate her for 2 days, but now has gone back to not brushing, what else can we do? we have a reward chart but I dont feel I should put on there what she has been doing for 2 yrs?? help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Girl, I recently found out that young girls can start experiencing the signs of PMS when they are just 5!! Maybe that is what is going on. Out of control hormones and she's not sure how to deal with them. Be patient, but firm and consistent.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Be patient, but firm and consistent and be there with her when she should be doing her chores. I do not think she should be punished, it will make things worse.
    I would just tell my kids, okay lets go brush our teeth and I would go with them and just talk of things. And than I would go with them to clean their rooms and do the same with all their chores.
    This will only last for a week or so. But with kids you will always feel like you are always re-training. It is normal, Just don't make a big fuss.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:04 AM on Oct. 17, 2009