outdoor play for xmas...

Our yard is pretty bare when it comes to childrens activities. we have a kiddie pool and water table which are great for summer, but i'd like to add more! what are some fun things for an almost 2 year old boy, something that would still hold interest as he grows older? swingsets are pricey, but I do keep my eyes peeled for good deals on local yard sale websites. the swingset I had as a child was still used for many many years! I was thinking a radio flyer wagon might be fun, what stores sell them for a good price? I pictured walking down the road dragging my son along, and having him help me plant a garden :) any other fun outdoor equipment you can recommend?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:48 AM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• bikes are good, you can start him out with a trike. Umm....my kids always liked buckets and shovels and little toy rakes and such. They had a little golf kit for a while, with balls, clubs, and little flag cups they had to hit the balls into. They used to sell skates that you could adjust the size and had extra wheels to help them balance while they learn, my kids are 8 & 6 and still use those. You need a concrete driveway or a street or something for those, though. A swingset is awesome, but as you said, pretty pricey. If you know someone who can get good deals on lumber, a treehouse or clubhouse would be really cool.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• nope no skates...we are on a dirt road which will soon be paved, but our driveway is still dirt lol. I did see on amazon.com, a cute gardening set for kids...if I ever plant my garden my son would LOVE helping out! I have a feeling he'll be a typical boy who loves playing in the dirt :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Craigslist has great deals. People are needing money so bad you can find a lot on CL.

We had a Radio Flyer wood wagon with removable sides that we liked. You can sometimes find them at yard sales.The plastic wagons with back support are nice.

Plastic slide, you can put it in a plastic pool for a water slide in the summer.

My youngest son's all time favorite toy was a yellow dump truck. It is plastic and very sturdy. We would even take it to his big brother's baseball games and he could play with it for hours.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I'm always checkin craigslist! :)
    one of my favorite toys of all time during childhood was a yellow dumptruck...and my son loves pushing cars and trucks around...thats a good idea to!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I know Walmart sells the Radio Flyer wagons pretty reasonably. Ty has a large plastic one that he loves. Perhaps you can also find one of those turtles that is a sand box. My parents did that for Ty for at their house and he loves it. You could also do footballs, soccer balls and maybe a little T ball thing. I'm sorry I can't be more of a help though since when I think winter activities I think sled riding LOL, since I am originally from PA
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I'm originally from NJ lol so I know what you mean! a soccer ball is a good idea!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2009