For those who celebrate the winter solstice

When do you celebrate? I have heard many different opinions on timing, I am curious to hear what you do & why you chose that timing. Of course work/school and other issues can play into it, but provided there is nothing restricting your timing, when do you celebrate? Assuming the solstice falls on Dec. 21st for a year...Sunrise on the 21st, or with the sunrise of the reborn sun on the 22nd? Sunset on the 20th or 21st? Dinner time on the 21st? All day long from the time you get up until the time you go to bed? Late at night on one of the days?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I asked this the other day. Here is what we do in my home.

YULE CELEBRATION/SOLSTICE

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Great answers, thanks for the link.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I'm still very new to this, and last year I didn't celebrate the solstace, but this year I'm hoping to celebrate the entire night, from sundown to sunup.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Last year we celebrated on the 21st and we will probably do the same thing this year.

Havent really thought about it too much yet to be honest.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• In my family I have a ritual for myself (as the only Neopagan in the house) on the night of the shortest day that is a sort of farewell to the sun of that year which is giving its last gasp. The next morning we watch the sunrise as a family, exchange gifts & have a breakfast feast. Last year my daughter was in her first year of Latin so we also celebrated Saturnalia, that was great & I think we will continue to do that.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• We always hold an all night vigil on the night of the 21st, no matter when the solstice actually occurs. We start at sunset the night of the 21st. We stay up all night talking, telling stories, singing carols, and "keeping the fire". Just before sunrise on the 22nd we go out and "greet the newborn sun", then we go inside to open presents and have a big breakfast. Sometimes it's just our family and sometimes several other Pagan families join us. We keep it on the 21st every year for two reasons: 1) It's easy for family and friends to remember and 2) it also happens to be our wedding anniversary!

We also go to the solstice celebration at the UU church which is always held on the longest night. If it falls on the 21st, we go to the solstice celebration first then come home for the vigil, but it has mostly fallen on the night of the 22nd in recent years so we don't usually have that issue to deal with.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• In the past i always celebrated by myself in the late night on the 21st or as near as i could make it.

But now i have a family and we will be celebrating it for the first time together AND there isn't much stopping us from having a full celebration. Hopefully we will do something that lasts for 2 days. :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Being I am the only pagan in the house... I celebrate once everyone goes to bed. I think once they are older I would like to go out and have a group clebration with some other locals, but for now it's just me

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2009