Christians, would you share your thoughts and feelings about a person who is not mentally there and their ability to get into heaven?

if their actions are not like Christ are they held as accountable as a person who does not have the disability?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• From a Catholic perspective basically what keeps someone from heaven is if they do not repent a mortal sin they committed. For a sin to be a mortal sin the person has to know that what they are doing is wrong and freely choose to do it anyway. So from that point, a person who is not mentally there does not have the capacity to know what they're doing is wrong and so could not commit a mortal sin. So it's possible for God, in His infinite mercy, grant salvation to someone like that.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Philosophically, the consensus seems to be that people who are developmentally unable to understand the concepts are, like children, not held to the same standards. Basically most theologians use more or less the same standards as our justice system, so if one would be ruled incompetent to stand trial they are only expected to be as "Christ-like" as their developmental development makes possible. They seem to assume that God will know what their mental abilities will allow.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• No they are not. Behaviors must be a concious decision or at least ones that we are able to resist.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I think they have every ability to get into heaven, especially if they don't make conscious wrong decisions that go against God. Their innocence protects them in a sense, in my opinion. I'm not a strictly by-the-Bible Christian though, so I'm not sure how many other Christians agree with me.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I don't believe that there is anyone that is automatically "exempt" from needing God's grace and salvation; they must choose it and be saved the same way that everyone else is saved. I also don't believe that the offer of salvation is cut off simply because someone has died either though. I believe that when we stand before God, what was broken on earth is now mended before him. This includes those who suffered from severe mental illness or altered mental states and didn't have the ability to competently choose from right or wrong on earth. When they stand before God, they will have the ability to choose him.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• i know you are asking Christians this but wanted to give the Islamic perspective... God does not hold accountable those that are mentally unable to know right from wrong. So those who are insane are not condemned.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• and the same goes for those who are mentally incapable. (this doesn't mean that a psychotic killer, rapist is automatically excluded).
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I have always been taught that God sees the heart. God knows each individual, as he has created them to begin with, and would therefore be well aware of the mental faculties that they were operating with. I do not think that they would be held to the same level of accountability as your average person, but I'm not God, so I don't know the 100% correct answer.
    Anonymous

• I think an important issue here is whether they are capable of understanding on even a basic level right and wrong, and were they ever. It would be too easy to use any form of mental illness as an excuse.

God sees the heart and mind, and only He is able to judge righteously. That is why it is so important that we not judge.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• God knows each persons heart and knows if they are mentally able to understand the gift he gave us all. My dad was mentally ill he died in a mental hospital and didn't know who he was in the end. He hurt people during the months before he was hospitalized and was very sick. He had no clue what he had done. I don't think God will judge him for something he could not help or even remember doing. I think he is in heaven before he got really sick he gave his life to Christ and I do believe he is with him.
    Anonymous