I have a tomato question.

How can you make red sause with fresh tomatoes? I have a recipe but it says tomatoe paste and so on. Can you make home grown tomatoes into paste, whole peeled tomatoes and crushed tomatoes?

TummyPrincess

Asked by TummyPrincess at 12:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• do you have a food mill? I cook my tomatoes with carrots,celery, onions and garlic for a few hours then run it throught the mill to remove skins and seeds. Toamatoes are very watery and you need to cook them down to thicken so you don't need to add paste. That just shotens the time.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• food processor?
    Anonymous

• MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Yes, but you still need a little paste to thicken the sauce. You would need to peel the tomatoes and seed them before chopping and cooking down. Google sauces to get a recipe.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I don't use a recipe. I throw some olive oil in a big pot; add diced onion and garlic. When they start to smell, I add diced mushrooms. I have a nifty tool that mashes tomatoes and separates out the peels and most of the seeds; you can do this yourself. Dip a whole tomato in a pot of boiling water (this makes it easier to peel. Peel and dice, removing most or all of the seed. I throw the tomatoes into the pot, and add some red wine and a cup or two of vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer. Add oregano, basil, a couple of crushed fennel seeds, a little bit of ground black pepper, a couple of diced carrots. Let simmer for a couple of hours; if it is too acidic, add a little sugar or baking soda. The longer it cooks, the richer the flavor. Refrigerate overnight, reheat and adjust seasonings.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:28 PM on Oct. 18, 2009