What are some natural ways to boost my kids' immune systems?

Supplements, vitamins and those types of things

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Vitamins ( mostly C), probiotics, lots of outside contact - and with other children (some germs are good - you need a certain amount of "bad germs" to stay healthy - too clean is not good) - breastfeeding, and general healthy diet.
    Anonymous

• Feed them yogurt everyday.
    CarrienKansas

Answer by CarrienKansas at 12:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Well, the simplest way is to drink Real fruit juice that has vitamin C in it. (I always do that when I feel a cold coming on) I also like those Emergen-C packs that you pour into a glass of water and stir up. They make the water kinda bubbly and they taste/smell really good. (they come in different flavors) They have diff vitamins and stuff in them that helps to boost your immune system. I've also used Airborne tablets that you drop in a glass of water and they dissolve like alka seltzer. They arent too bad... kinda funky tasting.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Just increase ALL fruit and vegetable consumption. The best defense is what you eat that goes directly into your immune system (begins with the mouth!!!). Forget the fruit juices with extra vitamins. The real fruit and veggies add mush more nutrients than anything bottled or produced. Your diet IS a MAJOR part of your immune system!

Anonymous

• fruits&vegtables if they will it them. a juicer can coast alot.
    madcat500

Answer by madcat500 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Increasing vitamin C does nothing. The thought that increasing it helps the immune system is old and wrong.

Their immune system is their immune system. It's strong or it's weak. Do what you can to avoid the worst of illnesses, let them catch their colds and such to help build immunity.
    Anonymous

• blueberries have anti-oxidants.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Echinacia! :) You can become immune to it though so maybe do like 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. Google it.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• The best way to strengthen an immune system is probiotics and an elderberry product called, Sambuccus. My son takes them every day and I do believe it's made a huge difference! Go to Super Suppliments and ask them for a powdered probiotic for kids that you can mix into their drinks or foods and they won't even know it's there and then ask them for the Sambuccus, (they have a few to choose from the regular version, one for kids, and one that's sugar-free.) The sugar free has a child dosage as well and that's the one I give to my son.
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 11:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Echineacea no more that 3 weeks on and 1 week off.

You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 4:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2009