Can cradle cap make your baby hair fall out?

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is your baby? All babies hair falls out! They get new hair!!

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Yes, if you pick at the scab it can be worse. But it doesn't HAVE to pull the hair out.

And NOT all babies just lose their hair, lol! Lots don't~ with my babies it didn't!!

Answer by doulala at 12:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• most infants will shed their first hair as the new hair grows in, it isnt always noticeable but it does happen, just like it happens to everyone else. I have never known cradle cap to be the cause of hair falling out but then again I only had to deal with it once. be sure to use a soft baby brush after baths, my SIL used a baby lotion on their heads to help loosen the cradle cap before brushing and it worked really well.

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• she is 9 weeks and my baby is not losing her hair I was just wondering can cradle cap cause hair loss

• Does eczema make the hair on your arm fall off? Then why would a dry scalp make the hair fall out on a baby? The down (first hair) always falls out and the new hair comes in, just as we are constantly losing our hair as new ones grow back. Hair rotates as it falls out or we'd be bald for a minute!

• No, it doesn't necessarily cause it. Sometimes the two things will happen at the same time...but one doesn't cause the other.

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2009