Bi-Polar

Please tell me what bi-polar is like. I believe someone I am close to may be bi-polar but I have no idea. I know I can google it and I probably will but I wanted to hear first-hand stories first. What is like for the one who has it? What are the effects on those around that person? What does it do? etc, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Health

• hey there. i am bi-polar and on meds for this.
    bi-polar disorders are very controllable with medication. let me tell you, i feel a huge difference when i don't take my medication even for one day.
    someone who is bi-polar experiences extreme highs and lows. First hand, I can tell you it isn't fun. Example, my relationship with my boyfriend suffers because I can feel intense love and affection for him and then all of a sudden, he completely irritates me and I snap. I yell at him and point out every annoying thing about him. With my family, I am very goofy at times, almost bouncing off the walls. I act extremely silly and make random noise. But then, I come down from that "high" of silliness and am very sad. I shut down and don't want to talk to anyone.
    Being bi-polar is best described as "manic" because the sufferers experience intense emotions that switch on and off very quickly.
    hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• People with bipolar disorder have chemical imbalances in their brains and they experience periods of mania and periods of depression. It is a very serious condition. They can act normal but most people with bipolar disorder never have normal brain activity. Medications are mandatory and several may be needed.

Some people have mainly mania, some mainly depression, some switch months apart, some can rapid cycle and have mania and depression in the same day. My son was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at age 11 and rapid cycles. He has mostly mania.

Usually teens with bipolar disorder end up in trouble with school and with the police. The have accidents. They don't think they can get hurt and do stupid stuff. They don't take their meds, they don't think they need them. Suicide attempts are common. Psychiatric hospitalizations are common. They can be violent.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• When manic people with bipolar disorder will talk alot and change subjects a lot. They have flight of ideas in their brain. They will pace. My son hates this. He doesn't like being manic.

They may like being manic. Some people experience creativity. They like the feeling that they can do anything and not get hurt.

Depression hasn't been a big problem for my son. Probably because he is on good meds. Sometimes he will lay on the couch on his stomach and not talk much or want to do anything. It doesn't last long.

Without meds they can do bizaar things. My son's father and I were only married a short time. He tried to kill me while I was pregnant and my two sons from my first marriage and destroyed our house. He was hospitalized in a mental hospital for a long time and that's when he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. He refused to accept the diagnosis and wouldn't take his meds. Obviously that's when we separated.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• It is a label that is often assigned to people who don't have it. I myself was once diagnosed as being bi-polar which has to do medically with a chemical imbalance in the brain. I am now perfectly normal without any medications and was never bi-polar. What was happening to me at the time was that I was going through a very stressful period in my life and was trying very hard to behave as if nothing was wrong. Most of the time, I was able to maintain that facade, but then there were the times when I pretty much lost control, cried, and was terribly depressed about it all. Since I a normally an upbeat, very happy person, I was handed the diagnosis of bi-polar. I believe that there are some people who truly are bi-polar, but I believe that other avenues should be explored and worked on before one submits to that diagnosis and the ensuing medications, which are really horrible so far as side effects are concerned.

NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Before that, before I started realizing something was wrong with him, one day during the middle of work he left work and went to the bank and withdrew all of my savings that was in a joint account, over $7000, and put the money in his socks. He went back to work with the money in his socks. He couldn't explain why he did it. His work called me and wanted to know what was going on.

That's the wierd kind of stuff manic people do when they aren't on meds. I took the $7000 back to the bank and put it in an account he couldn't touch. They will spend too much money on stupid stuff. They will get the idea 'I'd like a new car' and just go out and buy one if no one stops them.

My son has never seen his father. His father got the crazy idea he isn't the biological father. He paid child support for 19 years and never asked for a DNA test, probably because somewhere in his mind he knows he is the biological father.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2009