Transporting cats

We have many cats and we're moving across the country. We have to drive. The expected drive is about 2 days. Our cats are all different. We have old, young, male, female, fixed, not fixed, with all kinds of personalities. Some even hate each other. Is there anything I can give them all that's safe and effective on all ages (none are babies) to help them all through the long, cramped car ride together? I'm not comfortable with strong tranquilizers but I hear there are some things to help calm them. Any other tips? None of them have ever been on a trip like this. We'll also have our toddler in the car.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Pets

• call the vet's office
    Anonymous

• ask the vet for a dosage amount of benedryl for each cat, and how often to give it. also, make sure to crate them all!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Well one HATES the crate. He has panic attacks in there. We're also expecting kittens from one of our females around then.
    Anonymous

• we moved a couple states away with two cats and it was very cramped in the car.the vet gave us something for them.i dont remember what is was called,but it seemed to work out fine.i was freaking out a little cause their eyes looked strange when they were on it, but i found out it was normal.
    Anonymous

• Call your vet, get them all checked out before the trip. There is also some drops that you can get at health food stores for cats to help calm them. My mom moved to Florida from Ohio in a motor home with her cat. Then when she moved back to Ohio I drove her back in a van, just my mom, Quizzie and me. Quizzy had full run of the van while I was driving and over night while we slept. When we stopped to get out she went in her cage. Before the first move, I took her on short test drives around town to get her used to being in a car moving.

Keep feeding time the same, and the noise as low as possible. If they have a favorite blanket or toy make sure they each have their own.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to your vet about this because you do have some older cats and they may not handle the differant things as well as the others especially if they have health issues. The is rescue remedy which may take the edge off. There is also ace which is safe to give but if any have health problems that is not recommended.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 18, 2009