How much formula should a 4 week old get, and how often?

Is 8oz. every 4-5 hours too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why are you giving a 4 week old 8 oz? My 11 month old doesn't even eat 8 oz and he weighs 26 pounds! My son ate every 2-3 hours at 4 weeks, but he was still being breastfed at that time. to me an 8 oz bottle sounds like way too much for a 4 week old
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• At 4 weeks it's still possible to re-lactate.
    Formula is no good for babies - sure it keeps them alive, but it's the difference between eating a fresh home grown organic food everyday and, well, fast food.

Sure - they survive on it, but at what cost?

Check out Kellymom, they have great info on re-lactation. Good luck!! :)
    Anonymous

• at 4 weeks your baby should be drinking 2 maybe 3 oz every 2-3 hrs. 8 is WAY to much. My baby is 5 months and only takes 5. Does the baby drink all 8?? Thats amazing!
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Just remember any amount is ONLY a guideline!! Every baby is different. My firstborn ate a TON of food. When I pumped I would get 8-10 ounces when he was only a newborn. He could put away so much food and used it to grow - he was never a fat baby. If your doctor becomes concerned then I would be concerned too!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• yes I agree with the above. If the dr says its a problem, then I would be concerned. But if baby is hungry FEED it!! :)
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• This is a question for your doctor, but it's more like 4 oz every 3 hours than 8. That's bigger than your baby's stomach.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• At 4 weeks a baby should take as much as they want as often as they want. If the baby is puking some back up, it's too much.

At 6 weeks mine were taking 8oz every 2 hours. Yeah. No kidding.

Feed on demand.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• anon :52...SHUT UP.

She didn't ask about relactating.

She didn't ask about breastfeeding at all.

Formula doesn't hurt babies, you moron. Look at a group of toddlers and you tell me which ones were breast and which ones were formula fed. YOU CAN'T DO IT.
    Anonymous

• Noooo. You don not feed a formula fed baby on demand. I repeat, you do not feed a formula fed baby on demand.

You don't just feed a bottle fed baby as much as it will take. Bottle fed babies can't regulate their intake. They have sucking needs and will just keep sucking away even though they don't need that formula. If you feed your baby twice as much as it needs you are going to have a fat baby that will probably have even more lifelong adverse health consequences than most formula fed babies. Fat babies are not healthy babies.

You have to feed only what the recommended amounts. If I knew who you were and knew you were feeding 8 ounces to a 4 week old baby and wouldn't stop I would call someone and report you.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• You can often look at 3 year olds and tell if they are still breastfeeding or not. For the full effects of breastfeeding it can take 3 years. Those of us that work with breastfeeding moms can look at babies and toddlers and tell they are artificially fed.

1.5 million babies die worldwide because they aren't breastfed. Hundreds of babies die every year in the US because they are formula fed. That's what "breastfed babies are healthier" means.

Some moms don't know they can relactate.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2009