I'm trying to do yoga but it hurts my hands and knees...

I am over 250 and the pressure on my wrists and knees can't take the pain when I am trying to do yoga posses. Am I too big to be trying to do this? Should I wait until I lose weight?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 1:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• squats and lunges are the best way to lose weight quick, make sure you are drinking plenty of water (about 64 ounces/day) and eating healthy. try not to eat so many carbs though, don't cut them out completely just cut back on them. eat lots of lean meats and fish, and lots of vegetables and fruits. when i want something sweet i get vanilla yogurt and put 1-2 oreo cookies in it. it's ok to have some sweets, if you don't you'll end up driving yourself crazy.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• You could do yoga that doesn't put pressure on your hands and knees. You may be able to find videos at the library or video store of yoga for older people that can be done in a chair.

Here is a website that has gentle yoga

http://www.mydailyyoga.com/yogaindex.html
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Hi I also have trouble with my knees doing Yoga try putting a folded blanket under your knees I have also seen pads specifically made for hands and knees on a few yoga supply sites(the names of them elude me right now sorry Gaiam . Enjoy yoga it's wonderful. =)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2009