me step-son

every time my step-son comes to visit. he knocks broady and aubie off the couch not gently either he shoves them almost hitting their heads on the coffee table. i have asked him to stop but he doesn't and i'm worried that one of my babies are going to get hurt. his dad just sits there and doesn't say a word to him. i'm very fed up with this because this is more their home than his. they live her 24/7 he only comes every other weekend. please help me and my babies before they get hurt.

wmichelles210

Asked by wmichelles210 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Pets

• better talk to that husband of yours regarding HIS son.....
    Anonymous

• You don't say how old your step-son is. Young children don't know how to treat pets. It's your responsibility to watch the pets, put them in another room, put them outside, crate them, or otherwise make sure they are safe.

People always come before pets. You should treat your step-son as an honored guest and do everything to make his stay the best possible for him and his father. You and your husband should cherish your time with the boy.

I have two foster kittens that are only 5 weeks old. When my 13 month old grandson comes over I let him see them for a little while and then they go in a big crate or in my room with the door closed.

You sound like you have your priorities mixed up. Counseling can help you understand your role as a wife and step-mother.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Are they cats or dogs? If cats, are they declawed? Children need to be taught how to respect all things whether it is your house pet or you mom.
    Anonymous

• I would not coop up my animals because a kid doesn't know how to act around them. What did the poor animals do wrong? Sounds like your step son needs to learn what time out is.
    Anonymous

• How old is step-son> I think you need to stay out of this, talk to his dad, and let him handle it, if he is young, he proabaly does not know better, why don't you say come on sit on the couch with me and lets pet the doggies. Sounds like you might be a bit resentful towards the kid?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Time outs and other punishments never teach good behavior. Punishment is part of authoritarian parenting style that is known to be ineffective and bad for children and parents.

Authoritative parenting is the best style. If anyone is interested there is a lot of info if you google it. If you only have a child for every other weekend authoritative parenting works very well, you have a well behavied happy child and don't have to be yelling and punishing.

A great book for parenting young children is Love & Limits by Elizabeth Crary. She has a website called Star Parenting. Here is nice little parenting chart you can print out and put on the fridge.

http://www.starparent.com/popup.html
    Anonymous

• LOL. Until I read one of the replies, I didn't realize you were talking about pets! My bad.
    It really depends on how old the SS is and why is he shoving them off the couch? Does he want to lie down? Does he just like bugging them?
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 2:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• in answer to some of your questions he is 15 years old and they are both dogs
    wmichelles210

Answer by wmichelles210 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2009