Does anyone put off going to the doctor because they don't have the money to pay for it?

I notice that I do this, and was wondering if anyone else does. I have insurance that costs us about $90 a week for our family, and we have to pay copays when we go to the doctors, plus of course any medication prescribed. It is $20 for family doc and $40 for a specialist (like an obgyn). I am having an issue right now that the obgyn called in medication for me to take, and I have been taking it but it doesnt seem to be helping yet. It says on the package that if symptoms dont improve within 3-5 days to contact your doctor. (I know if I contact them they will want me to come in.) I am really hoping that it starts to work soon, because I just know I am not going to have the $40 to pay to the doctors, plus to pay for any other medications that they might want me to take. Does anyone else have these problems? (BTW, well checks we dont have this problem for on our insurance, they are no copay, it is just sick visits)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Health

• yes, i do. Why go to the doc when I can't pay for it? I have enough bills I can't pay. Don't need to add another....
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 1:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My son has insurance but doesn't go to the doctor or dentist because of the deductable and co-pays. He has bipolar disorder and in Arizona you can be declared Severly Mentally Ill and then you get your psychiatric care and meds free. Great idea to keep the SMI medicated and out of trouble! Psych meds are expensive.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I put off a surgery I needed for almost a year until I could get approved for some better health coverage. I just had it and it cost me $3000 out of pocket. I had to pay that $3000 before the surgery.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I am the OP- I am glad to know that I am not the only one who does this....To me it is so stupid that I pay for insurance every week, it adds up to like $360 a month, but then when something happens I still have to figure out how I am going to pay for the visit and the meds, because I still cant afford it. It stinks!
    Anonymous

• It's more like, we'd rather eat this month than go to the doctor.
    We're fine with that though :)
    Anonymous

• Anon 3:17--I am the original OP---Funny you should say that, I was just thinking that next Thurs I might have enough money for the $40 copay and I would have $20 towards medications prescribed if any--and then I thought uh-huh that was our grocery money for that week, so if I use that then what?
    Anonymous

• Hi, actually my Mom is going through the same thing. She pays for health insurance and pays a co-payment. Most times she can't even afford the co-payment and that's bad because she needs to attend to the doctor she has high blood pressure, etc. They should make it a way so that people who have problems paying for their healthcare they get at least a discount off the co-payment or just pay for it all together with people that have serious or numerous health conditions.
    NeverGiveUp489

Answer by NeverGiveUp489 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• totally. luckily ever since i married we have good insurance, but my parents still dont and we always had to put off stuff unless really necessary, and even then sometimes they dont go. they would take me more than they take themselves but it's such a sad situation. they dont have insurance at all, so they have to pay the full amount
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• yes i do i dont have money for it cause i have no insurance.
    lifeisgreatbut.

Answer by lifeisgreatbut. at 1:17 AM on Oct. 18, 2009