Do you feel compelled to avoid holidays you don't celebrate?

The Halloween question got me wondering, if you don't celebrate holidays that are observed by much of you community do you feel you have to avoid it, explain why you don't celebrate, or have a substitute?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We don't celebrate Christmas day at our house, we always go to the movies on that day. I have never thought of it as a substitute activity, just a good time to go to the movies since we have the day off & there are always exciting releases on or around Christmas. But I wonder if others perceive it as a substitute activity (not that that worries me, just something that occurred to me).

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My sons work in the medical field and they work on the holidays we don't celebrate and make time and a half. Other employees get the day with their families.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• No, I love learning about Holidays that are important to other people...not to mention other holidays (not of my faith or culture) usually come with some form of yummy food which I definitely know how to appreciate ;)

I have a Jewish Aunt that invited us over for a passover dinner, and it was great, and so neat hearing her pray in Hebrew - and seeing what's special to her.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 1:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I don't avoid them, but we only really participate in the traditionally Heathen parts of them, like the egg hunt on Ostara or all the stuff that goes with Yule, Santa and the tree and presents and feasting and gifts. For us there's nothing sacred about Halloween, it's just a night for trick or treating and Winter Nights falls on the solstice. I know some just wait and celebrate it on the 31st anyway since it's usually just a week or so difference, but I prefer keeping that for the kid to have fun.

Ultimately, nobody really notices that you don't do all of it if they hear you mention the presents or the eggs - they just assume if you do that you must do everything else the same way they do, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I don't avoid them. I even celebrate the first day of fall even though it is not religious.

I am Christian, I do celebrate Christmas AND I go to the movies Christmas night.
    Anonymous

• I don't avoid any of them. I may not actively celebrate EVERY holiday, but I have no problem with any of them or anyone else celebrating them.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I don't avoid them but it does annoy me yes. So I can understand how people of other belief systems feel when the belief systems of the majority seem to be the only ones observed or celebrated.

Growing up, my family did not celebrate Halloween. I was never allowed to go trick-or-treating and constantly had to explain to my friends every year how Halloween was *evil* and watch their puzzled expressions in return. Santa Claus, reindeer and the like as well as any kind of charm (like shamrocks, Lepruchans etc) Easter bunnies so on and so forth, were also forbidden from our house because they took away the spiritual meanings behind holidays or represented "unChristian" things. I was never allowed to believe in Santa. Explaining that to my friends was also really annoying and being the only 4 year old who knew St. Nick was a nice man who died a long time ago was kinda strange lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Islamically, we are told to only celebrate the two eids. There are other days that are celebrated by muslims but they are disputed. Some of us avoid all celebrations except the two eids. such as birthdays, wedding anniversaries, etc etc.and of course the holidays of other religions.

It seems harsh, but I think it helps to retain the important significance of these days. If you start celebrating at everything that comes along, it tends to detract from the "specialness" of the occasion. -- lessens it some how.

Hadith Muslim --- Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) forbade to observe fast on these two days. 'Id-ul-Adha bi and 'Id-ul-fitr.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 2:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Nahhhh. I don't consciously "avoid" holidays that I don't celebrate. We don't celebrate the Christian version of Christmas, we celebrate the secular (VERY secular) version of Christmas. There are other holidays, like Arbor Day or Grandparents Day, we don't go out of our way to not celebrate them, we just don't even think about it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• i don't feel compelled to not celebrate holidays. I simply dont even think about it. LOL.

Long before I became muslim i stopped celebrating "holidays" for some reason. I just realized early in my 20's that they had no significant value to me.

So when these holidays come up..it's like another day. I don't care that others celebrate to each their own thing just don't force me to celebrate with you or accept your gifts and greetings. just accept that i don't celebrate and mind your own business i mind mine. LOLOLOL (speaking of family and freinds who try to force me every single year. LOLOLOL to no avail.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 3:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2009