Has your unvaccinated child ever caught an illness that they could have been given a shot for?

or has your vaccinated child ever caught an illness that they were vaccinated for?

I am just curious. Real testimonials only please, no bashing.

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 1:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My daughter was completely unvaccinated for the first 13 months of her life. Since we have started on two vaccines, and we're going to take it slowly and get one or two series caught up at a time.

She has never caught anything more serious than a cold. And even then, she's only been sick twice. She's 17 months old now.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• We do get vaccines, but my girl caught rota-virus before she was old enough to get that vaccine.

On the plus-side she's immune now, but that was a rough week - tons of vomit, diarrhea, and farts soooo stinky they could clear the room.

It was so sad seeing my baby go through that.
    Anonymous

• Yes. My first child caught pertussis (vaxed) and passed it to me who was fully vaxed at the time.

We no longer vaccinate.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I have 3 sons age 30, 26, and 21. We all have immune deficiencies and they only have a few immunizations. Most won't work because they don't have enoungh IgG to make antibodies. Two work in health care, one is a phlebotomist and one is a RN. None of them has ever gotten any of the diseases that there are immunizations for.

One of my sons was supposed to have a Rubella titer of a certain amount for his job. First blood test, no titer. They gave him the shot, he told them it wouldn't work. Waited however long you wait, another blood test, not titer. They did this 3 times before they just had him sign some kind of waiver. He kept telling them they could give him 100 shots and it wouldn't work. It only took 3 for them to give up.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Well I got chicken pox while pregnant because I had never been vaccinated for it and my son (who is up-to-date on his vaccines) didn't get it.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My daughter has never been sick. I'm not worried about if she does get sick. She has a healthy immune system and we are still nursing at 2.5 years old.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• BTW - I've had the MMR shot. Had to get titers done since I am going to nursing school. I was not immune to the mumps.
    MoonLover06

• My boys are fully vac but my oldest had these spots all ova him took him to the hospital an they said it was chicken pox! To me they didnt look like chicken pox so i took him to his ped an he said it wasnt chicken pox! So to this day i have no idea if it was chicken pox or not! But if it was than i say vaccines arent worth shit but i will con. To vac just to be on the safe side!
    Anonymous

• Mine are vaxed, so no.. but according to Unicef all of these parents listed could say, yes- my unvaxed child got polio... what a difference 15 years and hundreds of thousands of vaccines makes... pretty impressive numbers, way to go UNICEF and others trying to make a difference in the world rather than putting out "research" that scares the heck out of people!

As recently as 1988, more than 125 countries on five continents were home to the polio virus, resulting in more than 1,000 children per day becoming paralyzed. In 1988, there were 350,000 cases worldwide; by 2002, thanks to vaccination efforts, the worldwide count was down to around 1900 cases.
    Anonymous

• Yes, my kids got the flu last winter.. this year we have all received the flu mist...
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2009