HOw to clean a baby bath sponge?

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to clean a baby bath sponge.

justkier

Asked by justkier at 2:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't use a sponge. I would use wash cloths.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• OP ~ Do you mean the large sponge-type things that the baby can lie on in the bath so they don't slip? I had one years ago for my daughters and I used a gentle cleanser, like laundry detergent, and allowed it to soak in the tub while squishing the soap into it with my hands. Don't use too much soap or it is too hard to rinse out. Once it's soaked for a good while, you can then rinse under warm water until it runs clear. Don't wring too hard or it will rip. Then sprinkle baking soda onto it and work that in. It helps with odors and mildew. It's okay to leave that in, it won't hurt the baby. Be sure to squeeze out as much excess water as possible and then let it dry on the dishrack or a laundry rack so air can get to all sides of it.
    Once you smell mold or mildew you will need to throw it out.
    I hope this is the item you were talking about.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I would just suggest (assuming it is the sponge that goes in the baby bath) just wringing it out really really good and allowing to dry after every use. Then when it starts to smell, just throwing it away and getting another one, they are really cheap at Babies R Us.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• This is what I do. It sits on soapy water when I bath her so when she is out of the bath, I rinse it out, ring it out good and let it sit up right to let it dry. After about 3 months, I replace it because it starts to show its wear. Mine smells like her baby soap. They are only like 4 dollars so I do not worry about it to much.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2009