Should i become a mary kay consultant?

I am planing on joining Mary Kay and I have been told it can help me financially but the problem is inventory if i don't have the money for it what should i do?
please help would like the advice before i make my decision.

EstefaniIsaiah

Asked by EstefaniIsaiah at 2:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• thats the main thing its hard to get into because of buying the inventory, maybe you can put a little money aside each week and save up to get it. I've known a few women who sale mary kay and they really do make plenty doing that. Just depends on how motivated you are.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 2:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• You have to be careful with Direct Sales companies. I think Mary Kay is especially true with the quotas they have and the high price tag of their items. Right now the average woman doesn't want to or can afford to spend $13 on one lipstick. BUT, Mary Kay does have nice samples of lipsticks and eyeshadows for people to try, but you have to BUY them!

The majority of those that sign on with a direct selling company don't make much if any money. Usualy they spend more than they make. BUT at least is you went the AVON route it's cheaper to get started and they have more affordable and a wider range of products! But I sold Avon for years and if I kept $5 in profit it was a good campaign, I spent most of what I made and more buying brochures and trying to get sales.

I now sell new and used kids and baby clothes on eBay and have much more luck and make much more!!!

Good Luck in whatever you decide!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• If you dont have the money for inventory then don't. Many times I hear gals say that the inventory can't be sold after so long because of Mary Kays policies on old programs and promotions.

You want to make money don't you?

Mary Kay is great-I like what they stand for-empowering woman!

But honestly-people in the recession are not jumping to start wearing new makeup.

They are struggling to meet needs of their families.

If you were losing your home, credit cards behind, bills behind etc..

Who are you going to go to for help? Maybe someone who can renegotiate the terms on these things for you?

Like a lawyer?

It's really all up to you.

But why would you join a business?

Why not join a person in a common cause? The business, yes you should be proud of. But joining the people is the key.

That's what I did. You can learn more about meand what I do by v
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• visiting my profile.

Wishing you the best!
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• If you're interested in selling makeup consider selling Avon instead! Its only $20 to start up just go to www.start.youravon.com and use ref code dhullum
    You don't have to carry any inventory at all! There is a huge selection and you have plenty of items to sell to customers who don't wear makeup! You have an online website that you can offer free shipping to anywhere in the usa. You can host online parties and fundraisers! You can make tons of money with Avon. Why don't you consider it. You're looking to make money NOT spend it! Email me for questions I'd love to help you get started!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 2:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I did the same thing and bought $1500 worth of inventory and it just sat. Believe me, the best adverting is YOU. I had a hard time moving inventory and felt like I was sold a bill of good for nothing. However, in hindsight, you will not make a ton of money in 90 days. Be patient, wear your pin, hold parties, and let Mary Kay be a part of your life. Give gifts for birthdays and Christmas and buy as you need or feel comfortable with. Most of all, enjoy the journey. You cant enjoy it if you are mad inventory isn't turning over in a short period of time.
    yesitscynthia

Answer by yesitscynthia at 2:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). http://www.ewg.org/
    Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Amen rkoloms. really want to help someone? Dont let them put cancer causing chemicals on thier face.

One of many reasons those companies did not last long in my thoughts or effort.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• First I would ask yourself do you have a passion for cosmetics? If you don't I would look for a company that has a product line you have a passion for and go with that. I recently did exactly that. I had been selling candles for a while but my true passion was photography so I went in search of a company that had products I could truly get excited about. I am so happy that I decided to do this. When you are following your passions, it makes the whole concept of selling more fun and not feel so much like work.
    Patty_WAHM

Answer by Patty_WAHM at 4:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 year old and 7 month old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 5:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2009