Have you ever farted in church?

of course it would be during a quiet time while a person is reading. Maybe I will laugh about this later but not this year.

Do you excuse yourself just as loud, or act like you heard or felt nothing come out of your body?

Just to add insult to injury of course I like to sit up front. Would it be truly embarrassing if I was in the back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't fart in church. I'm an adult and completely able to control something like that. if it was inevitable, I'd get up and leave the church for a minute, but not do it in the church. Not only is it rude, but it's gross and embarrassing.
    Anonymous

• well golly gee anon:25 if only I could be as perfect as you. Accidents just don't happen to you. You are so great and special...
    Anonymous

• No, but my great aunts knickers fell off as she was walking down the aisle, She gracefully picked up the french knickers and deposited them in her handbag without a whiff of embarassment , I was told. !!!!!
    Anonymous

• I was going to leave this one alone, but since someone answered rudely & the OP seems to be sincere rather than just being funny...

Farts happen, to everyone except the first poster apparently. It SUCKS when it happens in public & you weren't able to get out of "nose-shot" first. But It seems inappropriate to disrupt a public ritual or sermon with an "excuse me" loud enough for everyone in hearing/smelling distance to hear it. I suppose I might whisper a discreet apology, but for the most part I think people would be ok with you remaining silent in that case - unless of course you continue to gas them all morning without getting up.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• WOW first poster, you must be really super human to not have gas......ever. LOL

Yea I don't think I would say really loud an "excuse me". If you keep passing gas then just leave the chapel and go to the ladies room.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:41 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• You know OP, I was drinking some tea as I read your question, I laughed so hard the tea came out of my nose! To answer your question would be preferably a silent but stinky variety that has happened to me, but you can always blame the one next to you!!

Answer by older at 4:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• LOL. funny question.. I'm muslim and farting is something that we care very much about.It is extremely important to us. First everybody does it so it isn't really something to laugh at. Second, when we are about to pray we have to be cleaned of a few things.. 1. urine, 2, feces, 3 sexual discharge (ejaculation/orgasm) 4. farting .. (these can be in any order). So to combat this problem we do something callled wudo... we wash with water certain body parts as prescribed by God and his Messenger.

if we fart during prayer at home or in the mosque, we simply get up and go to the bathroom and wash because farting is one of the things that makes a person impure for prayer. it's no big deal to the community.... you just get off the prayer line, wash and return, fall into the line and pray again from the beginning. Everyone is so busy in prayer no one pays attention to the next person. It's a natural part of humans.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Just Pray it isn't LOUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDd and STINK. LOLOLOL.. cause then im not sure what would happen. LOL and because You cannot continue the prayer once you fart, everyone will know it was you ... even if it was a silent stinky one. LOLOLOL.. i would probably be embarrassed but i would go wash and return to worship Allah as he has commanded me.

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Aasiyah- I don't mean to be disrepectful of your beliefs but I find it amazing that your view of God is that He is that demanding. You have to be clean and "right" before you can pray to Him? That's not the God I serve. Yes public prayer is different than private prayer, but you say that if you are praying at home you have to be clean as well?
    God knows that we have physical bodies and physical bodies make gas. You very simply say excuse me and go on talking to God.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• teamquin..perhaps you should look Jesus being witnessed washing his feet before praying.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 5:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2009