A Biting Breast Feeding Baby...HELP!!!

My son will be 11 months old in 11 days. He has had teeth for a while now and has never bitten me before except for a nibble here and there. For the past several days, he has been biting me very hard (he has 4 teeth on top, two on bottom, front). I've tried all of the methods to get him to stop. He bites me so hard that I am starting to get upset and stressed every time I feed him because I know he's just going to bite me again and it really hurts! At our last feeding, he clamped down on me and wouldn't let go.

The other problem is that he hates bottles and sippy cups. We've been trying to get him to drink juice and water out of a sippy cup for practice for 4-5 months now and he's never had an interest in drinking any substantial amount out of it.

I need help. How do I get him to take a sippy cup? I don't know how I'm going to keep feeding him but I can't stand the biting!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A bite means time out for one minute. No reprieve on that.

Does he bite at the beginning or end of a feeding? At the beginning often means he wasn't hungry...are you still nursing before solids are given? That is the correct order.

If at the end, then you need to watch and unlatch before he CAN bite.

But biting must always bring a negative consequence. It's the ONLY way to get him to stop.

As to the sippy...offer it. Don't sweat it. He'll take it when he's ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• First, don't let this make you stop BF. My son did the same. He would bite me, I would latch him off and say "Ow that hurts mommy" He did it a lot before he stopped. He did it the other day after months of not doing it.

Oh also, if you notice he's done nursing (you know the signs) latch him off. Don't let him stay on the boob if he's done eating.
    Ques, does he smile or laugh when you say no?
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Oh n don't do time-out. He's too small to know what time-out means. Even if it's just a minute.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Of course he doesn't know what time out means! He has to LEARN what it means and if he's up and mobile, it should have been implemented before now and he WOULD know what it means by now.

Anonymous

• I agree with NO timeouts - he's only 11 months old and there are better ways to teach him. My daughter did this for a while and I feel your pain - it HURTS!! I tried finding a pattern (is she always biting when she's not hungry, or done eating, or tired, or.. . ) but couldn't come up with one. I made sure to "over"-react every time she bit - yelling OUCH! NO BITE! and taking her off the breast immediately. She loved her nursing time and after a couple of weeks figured out that biting meant we were done. It took time and patience, and for me, a lot of Tylenol and ice packs, but it worked. Good luck!!!!!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• How the heck do you get a one yr old to stay in time out for one minute? And understand the concept? Sorry I dont agree with that one. I would just latch him off before he bites, or if you cant and he has aleady biten you, then just latch him off you and tell him no. Oh, and I had many issues with getting my now almost 16 month old to take a sippy cup. He finally ended up with the sippy cups that are disposable, they worked with him enough for him to start drinking from them, then from there we transitioned him to the sippy cups with the built in valves (I think they are by First Years) they sell them in Walmart and Target. He does take his milk out of the sippy cups with the soft spout and the valve in them and the handle, they are from Playtex. He is so funny, he has milk out of one kind of cup and his juice and water out of another. But whatever works. I would just say be patient, eventually it will happen.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Oh and if you want to read it, I have a journal posting all about my struggle with him and his sippy cups.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• The only thing that worked for me was the face smash- push his face closer to the breast when he bites. He should open his mouth and stop biting. Also making sure he is actually hungry and not just playing around is a good way to stop the biting before it starts. Bored babies will take the breast then chomp on it if they are allowed to.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• OP here (I am not the anon who posted above, my son is up and mobile...what should have been implimented by now?).

He bites me when he is hungry, at the beginning of a feeding. Yes, I BF him before I solid feed him. He eats and sleeps on a schedule so his hunger is not only predictable by the fact that he's pulling my shirt up but also by what time it is lol. He thinks it's funny when he bites me. I've tried pulling him away and saying "no!" and frowning at him and he laughs at me. I've tried switching breasts (sometimes when one gets "low" even when it's not close to being emptied, he'll start biting because he wants the other breast).

No, I do not put my baby in time-out.

What was the scariest was when he bit me and I couldn't get him off at first. We're not talking about little nibbles here...
    Anonymous

• I never once said I put my son in a time-out. Where the heck is this all coming from?
    Anonymous