I'm going crazy over here. My daughter (15 months) doesn't want to eat anything.

At breakfast, she only takes a few bites and throws the rest on the floor. This happens at lunch and dinner too. She won't eat meat, except turkey hot dogs. I serve her things that I know she likes, even loves. She loves carrots and brocc;oli, well today at lunch . . . she threw them on the floor. It seems like the only thing she wants to eat is cheese and drink milk. I feed her first, so she's not getting full on liquids. I'm so frustrated that I don't want to give her her cuppy, because then she'll win. I'll give her water (she only drinks milk and water), but she takes a few sips and throws it on floor like everything else. On top of all this, cleaning up her, her high chair and my kitchen is driving me insane. Should I start giving a vitamin? Every meal, I offer her healthy choices, most of which end up in the garbage because she throws them on the floor. I'm so very frustrated and I need some help!

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am going through the same thing. My son is almost 15 months and doesn't really eat much. He eats a few pieces of cereal and he is ready to get out. he wont let me feed him anything, he has to feed himself. I have just been letting him win. I do give him during the day apples, grapes, bananas and oranges. I try to give him anything. He is just being pick right now. I figure if he is hungry he will eat so i just leave things out where he can get them. I think its a faze he is going throw. Don't worry I am sure she will get her apatite back soon. Just offer a few small snacks.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 2:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I have a 13 mo grandson and he has a genetic disease that involves slow weight gain. We HAVE to feed him or he will have to go in the hospital and have a feeding tube put in. All three of my sons have the same disease but we didn't get the diagnosis until my youngest son.

Milk is not good for kids after infancy. Cow's milk is for baby cows. Moo:) It's hard since that's one thing that she will eat but it would be good to try to cut back and eliminated it.

Don't get frustrated! Don't let eating be a problem!

We hardly ever sit my grandson down to eat. We let him eat on the go and are always trying new things. I save bits and pieces of meals. He likes cold shaved steak slices and chicken cordon blu (sp?). Since she is not eating much you can feed her high calorie and high fat foods. Sweet potato with lots of butter.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• What are some healthy snacks you serve that are very tasty and kid friendly? We have gold fish, animal crackers and nilla wafers. String cheese is usually a snack, but it's become a last resort at meal times, so she'll eat at least something. Any other ideas that for her would seem like a treat?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I have an 18 mo. old that just started this. I thought she was the best eater for so long...ate anything I put in front of her but recently she has decided she doesn't like veggies, meat, some fruits, etc. The list just keeps getting longer. I rack my brain at every meal trying to figure out something healthy to give her that she'll actually eat! I hope its a phase. I cut out snacks for and that helped for awhile. I started changing up how things were served and that helped for awhile (carrot sticks instead of chunks, slices of banana instead of cubes, ketchup on her broccoli, etc.). The only things she'll eat consistently at the moment are cheese, yogurt, cereal, blueberries and mandarin oranges. Craziness. I'm trying not to make a big deal out of meal time though because I don't want to make the situation worse. I typically just end meal time when stuff starts going on the floor. Urg. Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Okay, I'm not for your whole "cows milk if for baby cows" crusade. I'm not eliminating milk. Many things come from cows milk, should I eliminate all those things too? I have drank milk my entire life. It is not bad for her. I will listen to her doctor on that. Thanks.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• The nutrition advisor for La Leche League was a professor at Ball State University where I went to grad school. I've heard her speak about toddler nutrition many time. She says don't worry about balancing nutrition over a day. Worry more about what your toddler eats over a month. There will be good days and bad days. One day a toddler may eat meat, the next day fruits.

As you eliminate drinking milk some milk products are then ok like yogurt and cheese.

You don't have to worry too much as long as your child is gaining. When she stops gaining is the time to worry about eating.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• She sounds like a normal 15 month old to me. Let her eat what she wants to eat at mealtimes, give her small nutritious snacks. As long as she doesn't lose weight she's fine.
    Anonymous

• Healthy snacks:
    Ants on a log: peanut butter on celery sticks with raisins
    Smiley Faces: Round crackers with a yummy cheese or pb spread, nuts, fruits or veggies in a smiley face
    Puppy Chow; not 100% healthy, but healthy substitutions can be made in the ingredients.
    Homemade snack mix: let her pick the cereal, dried fruits, etc that go into the mix and let her "help" make it. At 15 months she can try to stir things, maybe bag it up.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Puppy chow?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Oh doesn't really talk much yet. She has only gained 1-2lb since July, but she just started walking about a month ago and she started crawling at about 11 months. So I know everyone says they start to thin out once they become more active and mobile. She used to be a real chunker. She is about 30in and 26 or 27lb . . . certainly not skinny.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2009