How do non-vaxing moms get their kids into school?

I am curious how they would do that. All of the public schools that I have ever heard of, have a policy no shots no school. So do the moms make sure that by the time that they are school age that they have had all their shots, or do they just home school them? The same thing goes for all of the preschools and daycares that I have ever heard of, no shots, no school. I am not knocking the decision to non-vax just wondering how they go about this? Same as if they are trying to receive government assistance like WIC? I know that WIC has a policy that all children have to have their shots. Anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Health

• At our public school and daycare, there is an option on the vaccination form for opting out for personal reasons.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Many families that don immunize are opinionated (take that as good or bad) enough to not send their kids to day care, pre-school, and to homeschool.

WIC must not be a problem. My grandson isn't immunized and they are on WIC.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• All states have a process for exemption

Answer by rkoloms at 4:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I am the OP- Maybe in different states WIC is different, they thought my DS was missing a series of shots, but he wasnt. So they told me I had to go to his doctors office and have them correct it on his shot records that he wasnt missing those shots, and bring that back to them on our next visit.
    Anonymous

• In CO you can get a waiver. The theory being if you are vax, the no vax kids are not a threat and if you decide not to vax than you are OK with being exposed to others that are not vaxed. It is a non-issue for us as we live in a high income, highly educated area- the higher the Socio-Economic Index-they higher the rate of immunization. Working in health at a school district I have seen this as well... the schools with the highest number of un-vaxed kids are also the schools with the highest number of free and reduced lunch.
    Anonymous

• From Healtfinder.gov
    Anonymous

• From Healthfinder.gov

There's still a wide disparity between low- and high-income children when it comes to protection against diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough (pertussis), via the combo DTaP vaccine, the researchers say.
    Anonymous

• All states have vaccination waivers. That is how parents get away with not vaccinating their children. In Wisconsin, there is even a personal conviction waiver. If there is no waiver on file, the parents can be fined per day for not vaccinating their children and kids can be barred from school if there is an outbreak of certain diseases, like chicken pox.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• "No shots, no school" can be a very misleading statement. They say that here (TX) on the news, etc., but they don't bother to include the information that Texas has medical, religious, AND philosophical exemptions.
    Every state in the U.S. has a medical exemption, 48 have religious exemptions (all but WV & MS), and 18 states have philosophical exemptions. (NVIC map)
    As far as school goes, if a school or childcare facility accepts state funds, then they MUST accept that state's exemption. However, privately funded institutions do not have to- it is their choice whether or not to accept unvaccinated children. So, no, homeschooling is not a necessity.
    (cont. below)

emslala

Answer by emslala at 10:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• (cont. from above)
    As for WIC: "Immunization records and/or an infant/child’s immunization status are in no way tied to the receipt of WIC benefits." (directly taken from the USDA/ FNS website)
    They will probably want a copy of the exemption anyway though, just to say it's on file.

emslala

Answer by emslala at 10:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2009