• In the Spotlight:

anyone have a small baby with h1n1?

I'm just curious because I have a 3 week old and h1n1 has been spreading rapidly throughout my city and I'm really worried she's going to get sick.

Anyone on here have a baby that's sick with the h1n1 virus? How is he/she doing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't take your 3 week old baby out. I'm 53. When we had babies we didn't take them out for the first 6 weeks. When you do venture out, put your baby in a sling to protect from others.

Ask people coming to your house to wash up when they come in. Ask sick people to not come in. If you have other kids have them change clothes and wash hands if they go to school.

Breastfeeding should protect your baby or make it less bad if the baby does get sick. If the baby is not breastfed and there are a lot of cases in your area I wouldn't take the baby out. If you HAVE to do things like shop do it in the middle of the night when no one is there.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I would agree with Gailll - stay in as much as possible, be completely vigilant about washing hands and changing into clean clothes after being out, don't let people who've even been around sick people come in your house if it can be helped, and if you have to take baby out into stores and other crowded places, keep her in a sling or wrap where she's tucked close to you and away from strangers breathing/coughing/touching. It sounds like overkill, I know, but with such a new baby you don't want to take chances - and that goes for any illness, not just H1N1. If you are nursing, keep it up! Your baby will get her antibodies, and therefore her immune system, from you.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Me and all 5 of my kids have this and we have been miserable...we have been shut in since last saturday...my youngest is a 10 month old..he has a bad cough and a fever and some diarhea, but mostly seems to be fine other than that...but dont take a baby out that young if you can avoid it! Hand washing and sanitizer! I wish I had used it more, but i guess it was inevitable that we caught it bc I have 4 kids in school and we live by a major university and a teaching hospital! UGH!
    CrystalMartin

Answer by CrystalMartin at 4:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I have a 3 week old too, and I'm equally as scared. His pediatrician said the best defense if my breast milk and getting vaccinated myself, at least for the seasonal flu. She said that soe of the antibodies in the vaccine can actually be transferred to him through my breast milk.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I teach in a middle school. It has been going around my school among staff and kids like wildfire for the past month. So far, none of it has reached my child. I am really good about de-germing myself the best I can all day long and when I get home (my poor hands show the signs of my constant washing of them). Keep your hands away from your face, WASH WASH WASH with hot soapy water all day long. If you are around people during the day, before you even hold your baby, change your clothes and wash your hands up to your elbows. Clean your door handles inside and outside. I have an almost 8 month old (not breastfed) who has never even had a low-grade fever, so I must be doing something right.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I have a month old baby, and two of my other children have already caught the h1n1 virus. I have been fortunate so far that he has not caught it. I have been keeping my other children in their rooms to prevent it from spreading along with other measures but I think that it would be a bad thing if a baby that young caught it, my other two have had fevers well over 104 and if the baby caught it I would not hesitate to go to the e.r. a a pracaution.
    alysiacarrizale

Answer by alysiacarrizale at 1:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2009