sibling rivalry!!!!!!

my 7 year old daughter and my 11 year old step daughter fight and argue constantly when they are together, it is the most frustrating and angering thing to have to deal with. i feel that they are at an age where they should be able to talk it out but they dont. today i made them go into a bedroom and stay till they could talk it out and eventually when they stopped yelling they did but it didnt last long. any other ideas?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 3:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• The book Siblings Without Rivalry
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• It is VERY common at this age, and yes it will drive you insane, my girls were horrible!!!!!!

You would think they would work it out on thier own, but it is a learning expierience, so it will take time...lots of it, and lots of patience.

I have been flogged for this before, cause it has been misinterpreted, but I took a head band and "tied" thier hands togather and gave them things to do, things that would make them work togather. I would only do this when they were at thier worst, and the fighting was unbareable. It did help, it didn't solve the issue's or make it go away but it did teach them how to problem solve.

They look back on it today and laugh, and are pretty good friends, it was a long road. And how we all survived is beyond me! But we did and they did.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Try not to let them pull you into it....so they have to work it out themselves.  If they do pull you into it because it got physical...ask them to  name one thing THEY DID  in the fight....NOT what THE OTHER PERSON did.  Then thank them for telling the truth.  

Here are some sibling rivalry books including the one mentioned above http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=5&page=2

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2009