Is my daughter ready to drop one of her naps?

My dd is 15 months old and take two naps....until recently.

Her first nap is 10-noon, and her second nap is 3-4:30pm. Lately, she has been staying awake thru the 3pm nap. On those days, I'll put her to bed 45 minutes earlier than usual (6:45pm instead of her usual 7:30pm bedtime).

I guess it's time to drop to just one nap, but what time should the nap be? She can't stay awake more than 4 hours before she gets a glassy-eyed stare from exhaustion.

She wakes up by 7:45am each morning.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sounds like it's time to switch her to one nap right after lunch which I would make a little early so she doesn't get over tired. Oh and when she does o to one nap it will probably be longer than her usual afternoon nap.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Yep. that sounds about right.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• She sleeps a lot, over 12 hours at night?! And she was sleeping 3.5 hours during the day. That is amazing. Did she do this on her own or did you 'train' her to do it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I would move her nap to about noon, and then do the earlier bed time if she still needs it. Mine dropped thier naps at about that age and then stopped naps altogather at about 19-20 months

To Gailll all of mine slept 12 hour night's and would sleep long hours during the day...at least unitl they started dropping them. Even now they sleep 12-13 hours at night.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• OP

She did it on her own. I never let her cry herself to sleep or anything like that.
    Anonymous

• It's amazing she sleeps that much. She may stop napping at all at any time. My 13 mo just stopped taking naps and he only sleeps like 10 hours at night and nurses several times (his mom works). Sometimes he will fall asleep in his car seat but he wakes right up when you get to where you were going.

If you have another baby it may be really different.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• OOPS, I left out the word grandson above.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Yeah that sounds right. Mine usually did it around 13,14, 15 months. I think you might enjoy it because it really puts things into a better schedule for you both. She should sleep awhile too, 2, 3, 4 hours.......say hello to your extra free time! lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 7:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Move her nap to noon and keep bedtime at 7:30. Feed her lunch before nap (11:30 ish) and nap from 12-3 ish. Then bedtime at 7:30. My son stopped napping at 2, so I wouldn't have an issue of a child taking one nap a day at your daughters age. She may be crabby at first until she gets used to the new schedule but she should be fine with one nap. Most kids are at one nap by 1 year old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2009