how can i get my little ones to listen to me

i have a 2yr old and a 1yr old and they dont listen to me but if some one else tells them to do some thing they listen. and i am also in a middle of a divorce so could that also be a problem

Lexy-girl

Asked by Lexy-girl at 4:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Obey! You mean obey!

Love & Limits is a great little book about parenting toddlers. It's by Elizabeth Crary and she has a website called Star Parenting. Here is a nice little chart you can print out and put on your fridge.

http://www.starparent.com/about/print.html
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• The first lesson children need to learn is to obey and respect their parents. The best tool for training in this is spanking. I know there is a lot of opposition to it, but when done correctly, it works and it works quickly. Once your children learn that there is a little bit of pain involved when they don't obey Mom, you will find that you very seldom will have to use it. The younger the children are when they learn this lesson, the more peaceful will be your home. I have seen it work for four generations and without causing any harm whatsoever. In fact, the result is obedient, respectful, and well-behaved children that a mom can be proud to take anywhere and have the assurance that her children will not cause her embarrassment nor worse.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I agree with NannyB.

Answer by louise2 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Nooooooo. Spanking does not teach good behavior. It may teach fear and resentment. It is never right to hit children. It is so bad many countries have made it illegal and there may soon be bills introduced to make it illegal in the US.

All of these countries ban spanking in the home and in schools.

Sweden (1979), Finland (1983), Norway (1987), Austria (1989), Cyprus (1994), Italy (1996), Denmark (1997), Latvia (1998), Croatia (1999),
    Bulgaria and Germany (2000),
    Romania and Ukraine (2004),
    Hungary (2005),
    Greece, Netherlands, and Portugal (2007).
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I think they are too young for spankings. In MY opinion, spanking doesn't really teach anything.

You have to make an effort to get them to listen to you. If you call them, and they don't come to you, walk over to them, take them by the hand and say, "When Mommy calls you, I expect you to come to me". Then keep practicing with them.

Give them clear boundaries and expect them to follow them. One year olds are too young for time-outs, but I don't think two year olds are.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2009