How do I get my son to sleep in his toddler bed?

We just converted his crib into a toddler bed and he hates it. He thinks it is new and fun until it's time for sleep - then he goes crazy. In fact, right now, as I type this, he is screaming his head off and kicking the door. How can I encourage him to fall asleep in his bed without all this fuss?

jacobsmom707

Asked by jacobsmom707 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you should try laying in there with him -- and gradually lessen the time you stay. Like start with laying there until he falls asleep, then the next night until he's almost asleep, etc.....It's just a new routine that he will eventually get used to.

And I think "Gaill" is a troll. Her CM page is blank, and all she does is go to the question/answer section on here. Get a life.
    CA_Mom_of_2boys

Answer by CA_Mom_of_2boys at 7:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• You have closed him in a room and he is screaming and kicking?

Let him out! That is the worst thing you can do.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Get a regular bed. Mine wouldn't sleep in the converted crib either. Once we put in a regular bed and took the crib down...right to sleep. I have no clue, but they hated their crib missing the side. I think it's a psychological thing that all of a sudden their bed is missing something huge and they no longer feel safe, but yet a totally different bed is a different story.

Gailll...get over yourself.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I have him in his room with the door closed that has a baby proof door cover. What's wrong with that? If I take off the door cover, he will be able to wander the house in the middle of the night while we sleep, which is unsafe.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Try laying in there with him. We've had to do it each time we transfer a child from crib to toddler bed - just moved the last one today, and I have a feeling we're going to have to sit or lay in the room with him at least at night. If you're not opposed, try putting a small tv in there and let him have a sleepy-time movie - my son can't fall asleep at night unless he's watching Piglet's Big Movie, and it's the only thing he watches in there.
    Anonymous

• It's not the middle of the night! He's screaming and kicking! You are trying to get him to make a transition. What you are doing is solitary confinement. Little people do not have the same concept of time as we have. Minutes screaming locked alone in a room may be the same as an adult locked for hours in a room. It may be 10 times worse.

Kids should never be locked in rooms screaming and kicking! It's amazing you don't think there is anything wrong with it and that you didn't think anyone else would think that there was something wrong with locking up a toddler.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• AT FIRST MY SON WAS THE SAMEWAY HE WOULDN SLEEP IN HIS OWN BED HE WOULD COME IN OUR ROOM AND TRY TO SLEEP WITH US BUT EVERY NIGHT WE JUST PICKED HIM UP AND PUT HIM BACK IN HIS BED! WE TRIED SHUTTING HIM IN THERE BUT HE WOULD JUST CRY HIS SELF PUFFY! HIS FACE WOULD BE BLUE AND SWOLLEN. I THINK HE TOOK IT AS A PUNISHMENT MORE THAN ANYTHING WHEN WE SHUT HIM IN THERE! SO THATS WHEN WE JUST PUT HIM BACK IN HIS BED EVERY NIGHT AND SOONER THAN LATER HE JUST SLEPT IN HIS OWN BED WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS!
    jiysmommy

Answer by jiysmommy at 11:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Look, Gaill. If you aren't going to give me any advice, then stay off of my question! I'm asking HOW CAN I ENCOURAGE MY TODDLER TO SLEEP IN HIS BED. I'm not asking whether or not you agree with my parenting style.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2009