teen pregnancy and baby shower

My so's mom is very close minded sometimes. Her neice is 17 and pregnant. Shes 20 weeks and by now the whole family is getting comfortable with things. However his mom made a comment today about a babyshower. I brought it up and she said "WHAT?? They're gonna give her a shower???" I dont see why thats a big deal. Shes having a baby therefore will have a shower. Im sure shes old fashioned but still. What do you think?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I understand her point of view. Ladies from her generation feel like that giving her a shower would condone the behavior that led to the teenage pregnancy.

But, the behavior has already occurred. This teen is going to have a baby and this baby will need clothes, toys, etc. I think a teen mom needs a baby shower even more so than most married moms.

Your SO's mom is thinking that having a shower for this teen will lead to more unplanned pregnancies, but I am willing to bet that this young mom to be has already learned her lesson about the need for birth control.

I agree with MrsLeftlane on this one.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Don't invite her. Have a HUGE shower!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I agree Gail! She is a great person whom is very loved but just slipped up
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• A baby is a precious gift, no matter what age. Celebrate it! And plus that will help her get everything she needs for the baby. I got everything I needed at mine. My dad was the same way when I was pregnant at 15.
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 4:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• She's going to need all the support she can get and a shower will help out a lot! It's not just for the Mom but for the baby as well...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• She still has a baby on the way and needs items to support the baby. Just because she is a teen mom doesn't mean she doesn't need a shower. I say give her the shower and don't invite the old bitty.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• She should get a baby shower and Its really nice for you to give her one. A baby shower is to celebrate the baby coming into the world! Her baby is still a person and should be celebrated! I think its really nice for you all to have a shower for her.

I just had my baby a month ago and I am 16 (turning 17 on Nov 1st) and I didnt have a shower so I feel like I missed out on it I guess.
    youngmommy2be09

Answer by youngmommy2be09 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• YOUNGMOMMY2BE09--DON'T FEEL BAD,I DIDN'T HAVE A SHOWER ALSO, AND MY KIDS ARE IN THEIR LATE 20'S. THE REASON WAS,B/C MY EX'S FAMILY WAS ITALIAN-- AND THEIR BELIFE WAS NOT TO HAVE A SHOWER FOR THE BABY B/C IT WOULD BE A JINX ON THAT CHILD,SO NO SHOWER. EVERYTHING WAS BOUGHT AFTER THE BABY WAS BORN, BUT IN TRUTH,I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE A SHOWER,PARTY,GIFTS,FOOD, THE WHOLE BIT, AND I GOT CHEATED OUT OF THAT,AND TO THIS DAY,STILL FEEL BAD, THAT WAS BACK THEN(80'S) THOUGHT IT WAS DIFFERENT NOW,NO MATTER WHAT ,BUT I'M ON YOUR SIDE OF THINGS. IF MY DAUGHTER EVER HAD A CHILD-SHE WOULD HAVE A SHOWER THAT I NEVER HAD..
    Somma

Answer by Somma at 9:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2009