how often a 14 months old baby.....

Hello...i would like to have an idea...how often a 14 months old baby (adjustment age 12 1/2 months old) has to wave bye-bye and pointing, because my son, only sometimes wave bye-bye and just now start pointing books' pictures but nop things around....is that normal? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids do different things at different ages. My 13 mo grandson waves great. We don't care about pointing so I don't know about that. Since your baby was a premie you should have him evaluated. If he needs PT, OT, or speech therapy he should get if for free, probably in your home, up until age 3.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Every baby develops differently my son when through a stage were he would clap every few minutes now he doesnt at all and hes pointing he'll wave ba-bye but not hello. He may not wave or point alot but what else is he doing that hes more advance at?
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• He's fine, especially for his adjusted age. There's no set "how many times" for those things, just that they can do it.

I've been through all the evaluations with all three of my boys (one a "preemie" born at 36 weeks). From what I have learned through this, your toddler's doing fine right now.

If you have concerns, you can always have him evaluated, but there is no need to do it just because he's a preemie. Keep adjusting his age until he's two (per our evaluators) and remember he should be doing things at the adjusted age level. If he's within one standard deviation of the mean for his skills, he's doing very well. Lower than one standard deviation below the mean, they start considering delays...the lower the deviation, the more severe the delay (my oldest was in the 5th percentile for fine motor skills...severe delay for example)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2009