What causes racism?

Defenition of racism, according to the Webster dictionary: A beleif that race is the primary determinent of human trait and capacity. But what about the environment you live in? what about if all you have ever known is this? and want no part in changing your views or want no part in seeing how the rest of the world lives, or to learn why is wrong. How some people who live in small towns never get to deal or see anyone race other than their own, they reach adulthood never laying eyes on anyone different? Should they be held accountable for their lack of understanding of this subject? This is how racism is fed, nonexposure of the world around you.

Asked by older at 5:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Racism is started at home, period! It goes beyound not having exposure. It starts from fear: why do i have to accept any other race than my own, my race is superior because they lack what i have.
    When people are closed minded they live in fear and are afraid of change. When mom and or dad constantly say, "you shouldn't do this or that because its bad for you", sometimes we listen and sometimes we rebel. Bottom line its our choice in the end as adults to accept other races as our equal! I am mixed with Puertorican and white, and I dislike both races for personal reason and deal mainly with blacks. You will never know anyones struggles and hopes unless you talk to them. My white family abused me, my hispanic family abandoned me, and blacks were outcasts just as myself. Are we as people perfect enough to decide which race is better!? God created everything to be different so we wouldn't get bored with the same old same things!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Here's the way I see it. If an adult, age 18 or older, is prejudiced against a race other than their own, they should absolutely be reprimanded. The world we live in does not look kindly upon those who prefer one specific race. If a child, age 18 or younger, is prejudiced against a race other than their own, then it may not actually be their fault. If a racist kid has racist parents, why should we blame the kid? They're only repeating all they've ever heard. I agree with you, racism is fed by fear, a lack of contact with the "outside world", ignorance (TRUE ignorance, not the definition we use here online), and in some instances, cowardice and selfishness.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My mawmaw is very racist. she says n-word and calls stuff the way she sees it. I thought she would never change. Until I had a mixed baby and she told me she wanted nothing to do with me anymore. BUT the moment my daughter was born she changed and loves her and her black family. It was all she knew she grew up on a plantation in the deep south and that was how she was raised. I never hated my mawmaw for thinking the way she did but it took 80 years before she ever learn to love everyone and except them. I dont hold her accountable for not opening up sooner in life, but I am glad she did.
    Anonymous

• Anon, so there is hope for some! good for your mom!

Answer by older at 5:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Funny you ask that. Today at breakfast, we were teasing my 8 year old that she has a crush on her very handsome viola instructor. She shouted "No I don't, he looks Mexican!" To which her step-dad and I instantly called her on and had a very long discussion on where that came from, and why on earth she would care. We did tell her to be VERY embarrassed that she ever uttered those words. However, when her dad called and I discussed this with him, he said, of course she feels that way she shouldn't be dating a Mexican. To which I went off.

He was raised that you don't date anyone but a Catholic and a white girl, and a bunch of other terrible things. So now, my children are torn between a house that finds fault with any race other than their own, and a house that strives (not always successfully) to be equal in race, sex, and religion.

So, call me in 10 years, and I will let you know which side took.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• urkiddingright, I am sure those kids will find a right balance in the future.

Answer by older at 6:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• IGNORANCE
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Ignorance, plain and simple.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• of course i'll stay anon on this one, but what about racism or at least a certain degree of prejudice against a different culture or religion that has personally wronged or harmed you? should a victim learn to "get over it" if they view all like people of that group in the same light?

what if a white woman is raped by a black thug?
    what if a jewish boss publicly ridiculed their non-jewish employee?
    what if an hispanic man seriously beats their white girlfriend?
    what if you're a returning soldier and witnessed the death or torture of fellow soldiers by islamic terrorists?

my point is, each one of our lives is filled with not so rosy experiences. it is those experiences which shape our views, and i think we're entitled to them. not everyone is forgiving of those who hurt us. sometimes it is the only way to regain control of our lives--because being a victim or survivor doesn't end with a conviction.
    Anonymous

• Fear of the unknown. Then maybe fear and dislike of the known.

I've seen people show irrational dislike of homeschoolers. They don't know any homeschoolers personally, but they see homeschoolers as weird and different. I've also seen some judge ALL homeschoolers by the one (negative) experience they had with homeschoolers.

This same dislike and/or fear could apply to race, creed, color, religious belief, or sexual preference. People from other cultures, classes, and lifestyles fall into this as well. One CM poster said everyone who shops at Walmart is trash.  It's a general dislike of people who are different from her.  Not really much difference from racism, IMO.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2009