how do i get my son potty trained?

he does know how to use the potty but he refuses

AmberMason

Asked by AmberMason at 6:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds like he isn't ready...how old is he? Just don't force him-it'll back fire on you. He'll do it when he is ready....
    have you tried rewards? Mini M&M's worked great on my son :-)
    Anonymous

• He's not ready. He will go when he's ready. You cannot force a child to potty train for your convenience.
    Anonymous

• I just potty trained my 3 yr old son, not easy! they're so used to the diaper that you have to do it smoothly as possible. stop drinks 1-1.5 hrs before bed. ask him if he has to go and go with him if he does. getting him to pee standing is a little tricky but not impossible! he might poo in his underwear for a little while but soon will end once he's comfortable going to the bathroom. explain that he's a big boy now and that diapers are for babies[sounds harsh, but i found it beneficial]. every time he goes praise him[that's my big boy, ect, maybe stickers or a prize]. i'm a single mother of 4 and got my son to pee standing, i call him my lil man now. you have to let him take the lead and just follow[easier said than done i know]. when we don't scream or berate them for accidents they progress more so. i think they also like the one on one durring potty training and therefore is necassary to walk them through the process.
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• BOYS ARE HARD TO POTTY TRAIN. I THINK YOU SHOULD START THEM WHEN YOU AS THERE PARENT THINK THEY ARE READY. SOMETIMES YOU COULD WAIT AROUND ON YOUR CHILD AND HE COULD BE 5 WHEN HE IS FINALLY READY. I STARTED MY SON WHEN HE WAS ABOUT 2 AND STARTED DAYCARE. I STARTED WITH PULLUPS AND ASKING HIM TO USE THE BATHROOM . AFTER A WHILE HE KINDA STARTED TELLING ME HE HAD TO GO. WHEN HE WENT ON HIS SELF I WOULD MAKE HIM SIT IN TIME OUT NOW WE DON'T HAVE AN ISSUE WE'RE WORKING ON THE NIGHT TIME PART! I DIDN'T START POTTY TRAINING HIM TO MAKE MY LIFE ANY EASIER ALTHOUGH IT HELP ME OUT! I THINK IT HELPED MY SON FEEL INDEPENDENT!
    jiysmommy

Answer by jiysmommy at 11:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2009