Alot of trouble breastfeeding

I really wanted to breastfeed my baby, but i keep running into problems. First he wouldnt latch on, so my husband went out and bought me the Medala Nipple Shields for inverted or flat nipples. (i have flat nipples, not completely flat but bad enough to where he has trouble keeping it in his mouth)...but i wasnt even able to put that thing on....So now he went and bought me the Avent Breast Shells. Today is my first day using them so i hope they work to protrude my nipples.......

But i have a second problem. Im worried that im not producing enough milk. For a week now iv been pumping. Then last night i was able to only pump 3 oz of milk, that was from BOTH breasts. Iv heard that the pump suction doesnt compare to an infant, but it still make me worry. My son has never nursed from me for more than 20 min before.

Has anyone else here had this many problems trying to breastfeed theyre baby? It saddens me sooo much.

Dazey18

Asked by Dazey18 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• one of my nipples was flat,what i did was cup or use both hands to pinch ur breast so thats its coned shape while he is eating,it may take a while but it will poke out there on its own. 3 oz is good.try pumping in early morning that is when ur supply is best.eat oatmeal.as long as he is having at least 6 wet dipars a day he is getting plenty.if u are on wic they can give u a realy nice and expensive pump that works better then the ones u can buy at stores.good luck,it is very hard the 1st 3 months,it seems like baby wants to eat non stop.it gets easier.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:42 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I think you're doing a GREAT job trying so hard like that so keep it up. As far as the amount of milk you pump it's really not a good indication of how much you are producing. If your son is nursing and has 6-8 wet diapers he is getting enough. With my second baby I could pump 4oz on each side max (I was pumping at work) and with my 3rd I barely respond to the pump at all and I've never had a problem with her weight gain or anything like that. Make sure you're drinking lots of water and if you are a little concerned oatmeal worked well for me to give me a little boost.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 6:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• If you're worried about production, go see a lactation consultant. Don't nurse right before your appointment. She should weigh him, then you will nurse him, and then she'll weigh him again to see just how much he is eating. This is really the only way to determine if you truly have a supply problem. Are you supplementing with formula? If you're not, it's not very likely that you have a bad supply problem. I'm not sure what else to say since I don't have all the details, but the best advice I can give you is to GO SEE A LACTATION CONSULTANT!!! :) Best of luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 6:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• the fact that you are so adimint in breast feeding it's heart warming! don't worry about how much you produce, because once he's comfortable nursing he will get what he needs[as long as he's willing to work for it]. now as far as the flat nipple issue goes: try massaging them til they're standing[if you can do it] and then try latching him on. their is always laleche league that gives advice and addresses concerns. don't give up until or unless he's just not interested. no one can't put you down or put blame on you because you did try and you did exhaust every avenue!!! i think you guys will work it out. good luck, and God bless
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• There are also natural remedies to help boost supply, and they definitely can't hurt...Fenugreek worked wonders for me and is available in most grocery stores. People also frequently recommend Mother's Milk Tea and oatmeal. And as the pp said, drink lots of water and count diapers.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 6:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I used a suction thing from walmart for like 6 dollars to draw my nipple out. Drink lots og water and nurse as often as possible. I had nothing but probs the first 2 months it was painful and I was ready to quit but I've been breastfeeding for 7 months now. Ill miss it when she weans...
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Since your baby isn't feeding well at the breast I assume you are using bottles. At this point you have self-diagnosed and tried several interventions all on your own. You need the help of a lactation consultant or La Leche League Leader.

Some good websites are www.kellymom.com and www.mothering.com discussion boards.

I hope things work out for you and your baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Three ounces is FABULOUS! DOn't kid yourself./..normal output is one half ounce to two ounces TOTAL.

Toss any bottles larger than four ounces as you will NEVER need them.

The shells DO help...I've used them. Count dipes. 6-8 per day once baby is a week old.

You are a textbook case of a mom who thinks things are wrong when they are PRECISELY right. You couldn't be doing better if you tried.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group, OK?

Answer by gdiamante at 7:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Gailll...did she mention bottles? No. Why do you always have to "assume" what you consider to be the worst in people? I'm so sick of reading your attitude and crap.
    Anonymous

• At least you are trying! Don't give up, you can do it. Try for as long as you can, and feed on demand. Don't wait untill he cries for a feeding, look for the early signs of hunger or light sleep such as thumb/finger sucking, wiggling, lip-smacking, coughing, or yawning
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2009