My sons father and I are split...

I have gone to court to establish child support and visitation.. Is' has been 2 years since we went to court, and Now my son's father doesnt follow the visitation at all. Not only that, he tells my 6 year old that he will be here and doesnt show up. Then when we talk to hm he has some lame excuse that my son buys into, and sets up another day to go with him, only to be let down once again. My sons father has begged me not to go back to court because they will take more money from him and he doesnt want to pay a higher amount of child support. Do you think if I take him to court that will ruin my sons only chances of hearing from his father?? I am so confused!!

AmFam5

Asked by AmFam5 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sounds like your ex doesn't want to be in your son's life so I am not sure if going back to court would really hurt it anymore than it is. I feel for your son-it must be very hard. I would talk to your ex in private if you can and explain how it's making your son feel.
    I would also talk to your son...let him share with you his feelings. You may not be able to fix this for them but your son will know you are there for him no matter what. Your ex needs to fix his relationship or lose it and it'll be his loss.....
    As far as court--go with your gut and hat would be best for your son....
    Good luck--it's hard!!
    Anonymous

• what=hat

sorry :-)
    Anonymous

• Go to court and do what you have to do to ensure that your son is taken care of. Your sons father is a dead beat dad. Guys like this have "the best intentions, the best excuses" and it never changes. There social life comes first. So.......treat him with the same kind of respect that he has given his own son. Which doesnt sound like much at all. Im sorry for your son.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Been there don that, as a child. My dad was the same way. Always said he'd be there and never was. My little brother bought into it all. My littlest brother and I didn't. It put a wall between the two of us and him. I didn't talk to my dad from the time I was 14 - 15 til 23-24. It is very hard emotionally on a kid and mentally. You need to think of what your son is going to do down the road. I'd take him back to court. There is no reason to make him wait around and wait for someone who is going to break his heart.
    MomofTwins07

Answer by MomofTwins07 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2009