What is "white heritage"? No bashing or childish insults please!

My daughter is biracial, and I was told that in addition to learning about her black heritage, she should be educated on her white heritage. But what is white heritage??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• a figment of imagination.

she would have a Scottish heritage, or French, or Dutch, etc, but there is no "white heritage"
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Well the same as black heritage can be from the West indies or Africa, white heritage would be like Irish, German, French, polish, etcetera.
    Anonymous

• Depends on who you ask...but that would generally be the European/western civilization part. THe part that is generally taught in schools anyway.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante. "White heritage" is taught in schools already, but they would never dare call it that.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My White heritage ( I call it Ethnicity)

My grandfathers and grandmothers came to the US in the 20s. from Ireland. I am the second generation born on this land. To know where your family came from is important. I know what my ancestors went through and it wasn't pretty. My grandmother lost a child on the way here he was only a year old. Then go further back the Irish were sold into slavery for many many years. 1632, Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat in the West Indies. By 1637 a census showed that 69% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves.
    1641 to 1652, over 550,000 Irish were killed by the English and 300,000 were sold as slaves, as the Irish population of Ireland fell from 1,466,000 to 616,000.
    And it gets a lot worse... to know my families background humbles me..
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• That would depend specifically on your family, white covers many cultures. Mine is Irish/Scot/English but yours may be different.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 7:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• unfortunately we live in a society where a white person cannot be proud of their history-even it had absolutely nothing to do with slavery or "black history". I would start with your family origins...where did your family immigrate from?? That sort of thing....
    Teach her that the slave trade was a terrible thing, but so was Nazi Germany, and many many other events in history but that it doesn't mean all white people were responsible and in fact, many helped out the slaves (such as the underground railroad) and that we don't have to be ashamed of our race, just as she doesn't have to be ashamed of her black heritage. She is a beautiful blend :-)
    Anonymous

• My great great great great lots of more greats- grandpa or uncle or someone owned some slaves 150 years ago. I don't think I should get berated for it. *shrug* But I'm not going to go around screaming "WHITE PRIDE!" like the supremacists do.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• what the hell does that suppose to mean caitrawks? White supremacists. What you trying to do create drama?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Well, you could look into the white side of the family, and find their background... Irish, Scottish, English... Etc... When you find out which ones she has, then read up on them, and teach her about them.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2009