My kids have been asking me to tell them stories before bedtime and I can't think of how to tell them or what to say. Help?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 7:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go with what they like. I used to tell princess and fairy stories to my little sisters. And to my sons, dinosaur stories- lots of stomping through the trees and ripping up plants and battling. Get as creative as you like. Or stories about kittens or puppies or horses. And encourage the children to guide the stories, too. The princess looked at a rock in the stream, and what was sitting on there but a golden frog. She reached down and picked up the frog and what do you think the frog said to her? (and so forth)

Answer by Bmat at 8:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Why not read them a book, maybe a halloween one. Or tell them about the day they were born. Mine love that one.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• start off with something simple...once there was a prince/princess named....(use their name) and go from there. she saved the prince, or whatever you want to add to it. get a few storybooks read those. you can also ask them what they want the story to be about, follow their lead on it, you can ever stop the story after you start and ask them what happens next. my daughter is almost 4 and thats her favorite way to do storytime, she makes up the story line, i just add to it to help her out.
    jessil83

Answer by jessil83 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• my 4yo likes hearing 'stories' about the day's events. we always start off with 'once upon a time, there was a little boy named jack.."..and it continues as such. he always interjects with his remembrances/corrections, because lets face it, at almost 41, i have CRS.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• goodwill and places like that usually have books for really cheap, every kid needs story books, go buy some or you could borrow them from the library.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• go to the library and let them pick out a book. Depending on the age you could read a chapter book.. my older kids like that.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 8:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• if you are having a hard time being creative, why not just read them a story :) go to the library, we visit there once per week and get around 50 books. We also take turns telling a story, for example...there once was a beautiful princess who lived in a big castle and I point to one of them....to say the next line. They love this :) My kids are 4 and 5.
    Anonymous

• We do the same thing anon :50......Sometimes when our boys want something different we start a story and go around the room. Our 2 youngest share a room and our 13 yr old will come in and join in the story. I usually start off with 2 little boys going for a walk and then they run into...... Then I pick one of the boys to continue. They love it! We laugh so hard with the silly things they come up with..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Thanks everyone, you were are great help. :) Great ideas.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• i LOVE to tell stories!!! what may help you get started is have them help with the story....once upon a time in a land far away lived ___________(kids name here). the land was called (have child pick a name). then add somethings like he went on a walk with his pet (let them come up with the pet and a name etc. does the pet talk and just question them) this is what i did when my son was 5. i then wrote the stories down we had a continuation of JACOB JEHOSEPHAT AND HIS MANY ADVENTURES. and i made them into a little book. you can also at the right time say GOOD NIGHT!! WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT TOMORROW!! have fun with it just start and they will follow!
    mamakat12

Answer by mamakat12 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2009