what kind of c-section did you have?

i'm not really sure of the appropriate terms, but there are two types of c-sections...the ones where you're cut vertically and the ones where you're cut horizontally. i had the old fashioned vertical one because it was a serious emergency and they said it was faster. i'm wondering if anyone else has had a vertical c-section and what their experience was like. i feel like my recovery took longer than most, but i know that most c-secions these days are horizontal so i wonder if that is why. it took me about 3 or 4 days to feel comfortable getting out of bed by myself and about 2 weeks to really get out of bed much on a regular basis.

LoriaAnn

Asked by LoriaAnn at 8:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had the traditional horizontal. Son came three weeks early. I had it because of previous abdominal surgery for fibroid tumors.

My neighbor's mom when I was growing up had a vertical when her last son was born. She showed me the scar when I was around 12 or so. Totally traumatized me. LOL

I hope all is well with baby and you. :)
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 8:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I had the traditional bikini cut with twins. Now my best friend had the vertical section done twice...the first time her baby was 10lb 5oz and the drs said it was the safest way to get him out...the second was done along the same scar due to it being a repeat section. She said it was really hard to set down and get up for a couple days due to the stiffness of it.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 8:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I had traditional twice. 1st was emergency so I guess I was "lucky". 2nd was planned and same incision. I did have a revision done about 6 days post delivery with baby #1 to remove a huge abcess and also put in a drain to remove fluid and pus (TMI? sorry....) so my scars are especially long, thick, deep, jacked up
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I HAD A VERTICAL C-SECTION, AND YES IT WAS AN EMERG. BACK THEN (29) YEARS AGO, NOW THEY HAVE THE BINIKI TYPE,WHERE YOU HAVE THE CHOISE. IT'S HARDER TO HEAL WITH THE UP/DOWN TYPE..I WAS CUT FROM THE BELLYBUTTON,ALL THE WAY DOWN,BUT THATS THE FAST WAY,AND THE HARDEST TO LOSE,YOU ALWAYS HAVE THAT (RAILROAD) TRACK THERE. NOW I JUST HAD AN HYSTERECTOMY,AND THEY CLEANED UP THE SCAR,WITH A TUMMY TUCK.I MEAN THE SCAR WILL ALWAYS BE THERE,BUT AT LEAST ITS FLAT NOW..THE REASON IT TAKES LO9NGER TO HEAL,YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER, THEY ARE CUTTING YOUR BELLY OPEN,SO IT TAKES AWHILE TO HEAL== GOOD LUCK WITH THE BABY
    Somma

Answer by Somma at 9:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I've had 3 bikini cuts so far. I'm pregnant with #4 and my dr plans on doing the same since I heal up so nice. I had about 4-5 days where I couldn't stand up straight or lie down with out having my knees bent. Getting out of bed with out help was not happening. It took me maybe 2 weeks to be able to get out of bed alone. I'm pretty independant and active so that was very hard for me. I don't know much about the traditional cut. So, I can't compare the two.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 10:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2009