Comforting constipation and hard stools?

My son who is now 1 just had his first problem with hard stools and he cried every time he went. They were hard and dry and irritated his little hole a lot. I felt so bad. Is there anything to do or will it just get better right away?

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 8:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, the first step is keeping it from getting too hard again...make sure he's getting plenty of liquids.

But I'd also talk to the doc about it. If there's a real problem, you may be advised to try glycerin suppositories. I'd put NOTHING up his rectum without the doctor's OK.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Pear juice, apple juice, mineril oil, or Kero syrup are all good options for lossening him up. My 4 yr old has been on the benifiber chewables for a year now to keep things moving right she was having such trouble with hard stools. Also check with your doc to make sure there isn't something more wrong.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 10:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• keep an eye on it! if it continues, then you definitely want to give him some daily pear, plum, or prune juice. the doc may even want to start him on mira-lax. i get sensitive to this subject, because that happened to my daughter. right about the time she turned a year old (and stopped nursing) she started to get really hard poopies, poop a lot less often, and started throwing up every night. she was on a serious of medication and went through a ton of tests and they couldnt figure it out. fast forward 2 years, she is in the 95th percentile for weight and only the 10th for weight. she has gone anemic and it wasnt until a lab messed up and did the wrong test that we found out that she has celiac disease. now that we are gluten free she has gained 9 lbs and grown 6 inches since january and is perfectly fine.
    Des10ed2b

Answer by Des10ed2b at 11:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Feed him fruit, grapes, pears, just not bananas because they can constipate. Usually the high amount of fruit should soften things up quite quickly. Lots of water.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 18, 2009