how d you explan to a 5 yr old that he wont see his mom for a while?

my mother just got locked up ... she has been gone for a few days ... all my siblings get whats going on expect the 5 yr old ... he was there when she was taken away but he keeps thinking that they just wanted to talk to her ... we dont know how to tell him she got locked up for a long time ...

scared19yrold

Asked by scared19yrold at 8:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd arrange a visit as soon as humanly possible. I have a 5 year old... they're sharp. But should really hear it from Mommy...... and be able to visualize the situation a bit
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Also perhaps start a weekly ritual of writing letters and coloring pictures and letting the kiddo mail them himself with a kiss. And make sure the momma always has stamps, phone cards, whatever.... to keep the little bit of communication available maximized?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I'm so sorry.
    I think this is something your mom needs to talk to him about. I'm sure she will have visitations, right? Drop this in her lap. She needs to be put on the spot about how her choices have affected her child.

07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 8:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2009