Tomato Allergry???

My 2 yr old son's face around his mouth breaks out and turns bright red after eating anything with tomatos in it...pizza, spaghetti, ravioli, etc. Has anyone heard of tomato allergies? His hands will do the same and when he was eating only in a diaper and rubbed his messy hands on belly it did the same thing also. Going to take him to the dr but didnt know if anyone else has heard anything about it or experienced it?

lilmamab07

Asked by lilmamab07 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes ma'am. we have 1 here, since my son was about 20mos old

you're describing to a "T" something called oral allergy syndrome. you need an epi pen, it can get worse as time goes on (or better.... u never know)

u need a PEDIATRIC ALLERGIST. not an adult one....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• PS we order from here to make pizzas, spaghetti, and of course ketchup for dipping
    http://www.nomato.com/
    your little guy wont notice, all the spices are the same.

a cheaper alternative is called jufran .... make sure u get regular and not spicey though
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• oh crap, I have too much to say, lol.... PM me if u wanna discuss more. for sure research oral allergy syndrome. eliminate tomato products for awhile and see if he's better.start label reading, ketchup is in SO MUCH, bbq sauce, salad dressings and more. tomato flakes/seasoning in hamburger helpers, etc etc. find a damn good pediatric allergy specialist... we drive 9 hours round trip for ours. hope u find a closer/good one, lol. good luck
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My son did that when he ate tomatoes a year ago. Talk to his pedi about it. She told me that it was fine and to lay off tomatoes for a year because his system might not have been ready for it. A year later, no reaction to tomatoes anymore.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 5:56 AM on Oct. 18, 2009