Is this normal or should I take him back to the doctor?

My son has had a fever and a sore throat sence Monday. I took him to the dr on Tuesday. They gave him antibiotics for a middle ear infection and he still has a fever today. Now he has a cough and still has a fever but no sore throat. Is it normal for kids to run a temp for five days ON antiboitics?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The ear infection might not have been caused by bacteria... it might be a virus in which case the antibiotics wouldn't be helping... and they also wouldn't help if he just a viral illness causing the cough, sore throat and fevers.
    Now if he's had a fever over 103 for the past 5 days I would bring him back in because maybe it is a bacteria and he's not on the right medication.
    If the fever has been low grade I wouldn't worry about it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:19 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• yes
    Anonymous

• 5 days he should be getting better although a cough can last for weeks...call your pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• He probably had a virus and nothing that needed antibiotics....may not have even had an ear infection either. Sounds like the flu by the way with the fever, sore throat followed by a cough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Oct. 18, 2009