Vics vapor rub on feet? Have you heard of this?

I took my son to the doctor yesterday and he has an ear infection and a sinus infection. After giving me a prescription for Anti biotics the doctor asked if Andrew was having problems sleeping. I said yes because he's been uncomfortable from being sick. She suggested putting vicks vapor rub on his feet and putting a sock over top. Thats supposed to help him sleep better.

Has anybody ever heard of this?? The doctor admited that she thought it sounded crazy, her mother had suggested it to her, but is worked for her kids. I did try it and it has helped a great deal. Andrew is sleeping better even though he is sick. I just wanted to pass this down and see what everyone else thinks???

Thoughts?

MommyTurtle1985

Asked by MommyTurtle1985 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Kids' Health

• yes...it's an old wives' tale. So is eating a tablespoon of the stuff but ewwwwwwwwwwww.

I have always sworn by vicks rubbed on the chest but they are now saying not to use it for young kids/babies b/c of the risk of increased wheezing....I will still use it.
    Anonymous

• The smell is soothing to them. We use it at the first sign of a cold or sore throat. We put it on our throat and wrap a sock around our throat and when we wake up the sore throat is gone. We were always told to make sure you wash it off the next morning. Hey, whatever works to make kids sleep is fine by me!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Yes, for young children use it on the feet.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Yep, it works for adults too!
    Anonymous

• Awesome! Thank you all for your responses. Yes it totally works.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Yes, done it. Also , when my family has the flu, I rub garlic on their foot bottoms, and it helps a lot.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• It makes my kids breathing worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• This is one of those "Old Wives Tales" that for a change, really does work. I don't know how, but it relieves congestion and clears up the sniffles and sinus problems.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:07 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• it works for us in iour house, but not for my dad. Vicks vaporub is amazing for alot of things -- including nail fungus. Who knew??
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Yes and it works! My daughter has a sinus infection and she was coughing so hard she was choaking. I put that on her feet and she didn't cough until 2 am! Compared to the previous night when she was up all night coughing, it was a big improvement.
    Anonymous