Did you have a difficult baby?

I've been through colic, now separation anxiety...baby is 7 months and still doesn't want anyone but me! My question - did anyone here have a difficult baby that ended up being a calm child? Just hoping for an easier time in the future!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter only wanted me. She's 15 months old now and as long as I'm close by she is okay.
    Anonymous

• My son was difficult... and at 4.5 still is for his age. It does get better and, thankfully, the challenges do change. My sons toddler years were the worst, but its improving steadily. He's just like I was- and if my parents hadn't been so busy screwing up their own lives, they could have appreciated what a steady, laid back teen I was. So, I'm hopeful that my DS will calm down and his teen years won't be all that bad.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 11:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My daughter was a really calm and laid back baby... but now she's a really difficult toddler
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 11:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• my DD1 was very calm... now shes difficult. DS and DD2 are just 5 months old and DS is pretty good, only cries alot when hes tired or hungry. DD2 on the other hand screams alot, and for no reason most of the time. were hoping she grows out it. Oh and DS will scream ifa man (including DF holds him) and DD2 screams if DF is not holding her when hes in the room.
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 7:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Dorain my oldest is nearly 4 and is a very difficult child, he was spoilt as a baby thanks to his grandparents aswell as my other 3 but they are quite content babies. i think its because i had them all so close. They say it gets easier and for my sake i hope it does.
    Amelie__x

Answer by Amelie__x at 8:40 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• I hope it gets better! I can't imagine what that'd be like. My Son was the perfect Baby, my Husband and I were very blessed..still are, cause even at 2 years old, Our Li'l Man is such a good Kid, health-wise and behavior-wise. Stay strong, momma!
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 8:52 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My son was a really challenging 'high needs' kind of baby... he's now seven and though he's still fairly demanding (he likes to talk- constantly!) he is a very good kid, behaviour-wise. He does have some sensory issues, which I think explains part of his babyhood fussiness (he is easily frustrated by noise, texture, etc.) The sensory issues have gotten much better with time. My doctor said that a lot of 'demanding' babies grow up to be bright kids, and this is definitely true with my ds. He is very smart and is way above grade level for reading and math. He is just a bit quirky sometimes! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• My son was beyond difficult as an infant. He had colic (cried like clockwork every night from 11pm-2am), reflux (that caused it to take over an hour to feed him) and was easily overstimulated. Lots of things would set him off and he HAD to be touching me when he slept which sucked because I didn't like having him in the bed with me but it's the only way he would sleep. That is after the first 3 1/2-4 months when he slept in his carseat and I had to rock him to sleep every night (because of his reflux).
    He's 8 now and calm for the most part. He's a very happy kid and always willing to help me but he's a boy so he's very hyper. his problem is he's a perfectionist so when he doesn't get thing right the first time he has a meltdown but he's slowly getting over it. He's a good kid and I don't know what I'd do without him.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• Oh, and as an opposite. My next child (who is 13 months younger) was an angel baby. She rarely cried and was sleeping through the night at 5 weeks. Then suddenly she just up and changed. She started waking twice a night at 7/8 months and followed me everywhere. She's almost 7 now and if I'm out of her sight for 5 minutes she's looking for me. She drives me nuts and is always right behind me to the point I've stepped on her numerous times through the years and have had to repeatedly tell her to stay in her own personal space. If I close the door to my room she is opening it 30 seconds later and every 5-10 minutes after that just to check. I love her to death and she's super sweet and funny but she makes me want to scream.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:39 AM on Oct. 18, 2009

• seperation anxiety is very normal and it passes. my daughter was a very easy baby, but she did not like to go to other people. now, my son on the other hand. he is a very high maintenance child. he is 1 and if he cannot see me, he is flipping out.
    Des10ed2b

Answer by Des10ed2b at 10:01 AM on Oct. 18, 2009