Has anyone ever heard that a baby's heartbeat gets lower, the more they grow in the womb?

I am 31 weeks pregnant, and I had a doctors appointment3 weeks ago, and the baby's heartbeat sounded fast, like a typical baby heartbeat. But, when I had my appointment yesterday, the heartbeat had slowed down, enough so that I could tell there was a difference. The woman told me as a baby grows in your womb, the heart beat slows, has anyone heard that before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes, my baby had a very fast heart beat around 24 weeks then it was much slower toward the end...also my midwife would kinda shake my belly to wake the baby up to get a heart beat while my baby was "awake"...it was always faster after my midwife did this...maybe your baby was just sleeping when they took the heart rate
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 10:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• no, i haven't but my ds always had a fast heartbeat and he was a whopper gl i hope your baby is okay
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• I've never heard that, but it makes sense - as a baby grows & gets older it's natural for their heartbeat to slow down, an adults resting heartrate is one heck of a lot slower than a child's, which is slower than a baby's! So I totally believe that, even though I don't remember how it was with my own babies in utero.
    Anonymous

• no i haven't heard that, but i know that my baby recently went from an average heart rate of 135 throughout my pregnancy to about 125. doc said it was much slower but that it was still within the okay range and not to worry. i'm 38 weeks. maybe go for a second opinion just to make sure. it sounds a little off to me.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2009