Puzzeling poop

My 6 month old son poops regularly (almost every day) but it is sometimes kind of hard and dry and definitely not loose. It is about the consistency of playdough. He strains during a bowel movement to the point of his face turning red. He shows no other signs though of discomfort and is a very happy baby. His diet is predominately formula and has been for a little over a month. He eats some solids as well. Should I be concerned? Is this something that babies go through every now and then? Thanks!

Lindzh01

Asked by Lindzh01 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 5 months. We are just starting solid foods. I was actually going to call the Dr Monday morning to see if thats normal because her poop is exactly what you described. Play-dohy.
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• it's normal when they start baby food :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Poo will take on many different forms over the next six months or so. Babies this age aren't capable of fully digesting their food...so what goes in, often comes out looking very much the same. Carrots = orange poo. Blueberries = black or blue poo. Bananas = little black squigglies in the poo. If the poo is hard, then it could be that baby's liquid to solid ratio is off a bit. Try giving small amounts of water with solid foods...or mixing more water into the cereal when you give it. (If you haven't started a sippy cup, now would be a good time...it'll be awhile before baby can take any significant amount out of it but it will aide in hydration). Also, rice is a known constipator in some babies so if you're giving a lot of rice cereal, switch to something with more fiber like Oatmeal or Barley.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• Thanks angie. That was great info......Will do!
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2009

• My baby poo started doing that around that age as well, he is now 11 1/2 months old and he still has a really hard time going poo, last nite I went and got some mineral oil and he finally went after few weeks of pooping hard nuggets. If you give him bananas they will constipate him, when I give him a bottle I put some karo syrup in there about 2 table spoons. eventually it will all go away, my four year old went through the same thing.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2009